We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the pollution situation in China?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
How is the pollution situation in China?

I want to take a tour soon to China - Beijing/Shanhai/Xian/Yangtze River Cruise - and have been put off by the news reports I've seen recently about the terrible pollution conditions there. Anyone been there recently and have any thoughts on this? I've seen news reports of people getting sick, airports closing, and bleak looking cities covered with smog. How did this affect your vacation? Should I wait until the government cleans it up? Did you experience any physical effects of the pollution? Would you go back in the next 6 months?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,756 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

Living there it has not affected me.

This is like the weather and pretty much affected by the weather. A blue sky today does not mean you'll have blue skies when you come in a few weeks. And a very polluted day can be followed by a very normal day tomorrow. Just passing by for a few days should not do much to you unless you have a problematic medical condition.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

Should I wait until the government cleans it up?

-------

I am sorry but this is the funniest line on this board ever. My grand kids would be visiting by the time the government cleans it up, if ever.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

Too right. A recent report in the local press indicated that the government was looking into tackling the effects of serious pollution by taking such measures as closing schools and taking vehicles off the road if the pollution index was bad. Three things to note: 1. It was not explained who would take the pollution measurement but that the 'if' part was likely to mean in excess of 300 on the index (which is somewhat higher than other countries would consider 'serious'); 2. The measures suggested happen already in one way or another; 3. 'Looking into' does not mean 'doing something' and in any event the whole thing was concerned with tackling the effects and not the causes: the 'taking the cars off the road' bit seemingly more concerned with reducing possible traffic accidents.

The local Beijing government has recently given itself a big pat on the back for closing down 500 'illegal' roadside kebab stalls that were contributing to the city's air pollution problems, according to thebeijinger.

No matter what the system of government, we can all rest assured that those operating it possess the keenest of intellects and the most pragmatic of outlooks in their commitment to the common good of society.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

and we rejoice in the warm rays of the benevolent and wise leadership as we march in unison and perfect harmony to that shiny city on the hill.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

...albeit through a haze of particulate matter...

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

I just came back from beijing, and worry-free about air pollution. Maybe i'm just lucky. I visited Mutianyu great wall, the weather is good, the blue sky helped me a lot because i went for photography. I talked with locals: air probelms just in city town, suburbs are not affected.

So if you would not stay in city town too long, air pollution is not the problem.

7. Re: How is the pollution situation in China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 04, 2015