We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Hi all,

I'm going to be graduating from college in the summer of 2014 and for a birthday/graduation gift to myself I'm going to plan a trip to southeast Asia and China for about 3-4 weeks with me and my girlfriend. Plan is for sometime in mid to late September departure date. A little bio, I'm 25 in good shape and very well traveled (been pretty much all over with exception of Africa, Far East and Australia) so I don't mind bouncing from city to city. I did a month long trip through Europe, 8 cities in 24 days with my best friend so I know the ins and outs of travel.

Now to what I want out of the trip. I know most people will say that this may be a bad idea but ideally I'm thinking fly to Beijing then to shanghai, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Bangkok, Phuket or Relay beach or any beautiful beach in Thailand, Kuala Lampur and then finally Singapore. Also im thinking about Cambodia for Ankgor Wat. know I won't be able to really explore much but I think 3 days per city would be ok. It's more about seeing each city and getting as much in during 3-4 days each. I just want to be able to get foot steps in while being able to check out the cities. Also I'm a huge foody so keep that in mind.

I want some advice on other cities to visit, whether I should cut down some cities or add some more. I won't be on a tight budget but I won't be whipping out an amex black card either. Hotels in the 4 star range maybe 5 in the cheaper cities. Budget would be maybe 200-250 a day at most for both of us hotel and everything else.

Basically I just have a smidgen of an idea but I want some opinions on how to put it together.

Thanks and all opinions welcome!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

You will live like a king with you budget in Cambodia and Vietnam. You will find a big part of your budget going to transportation as these places are quite far apart.

For this kind of trip you may want to give Singapore a miss.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Why do you say skip Singapore? I would feel stupid to travel that far without making a stop in Singapore as its very high on my bucket list. Plus I can fly back home from there?

Thanks!

dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Personally would just stick to China for the amount of time you have, even then you would be just scratching the surface. Visas needed in advance for China and Vietnam. It's not a race to see as many places as possible just rushing around, also need to account for flight delays/cancellations. Why not do a tour of either 1. China (Beijing to Hong Kong) or 2. Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand and Singapore.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

thanks guys. Im getting great feedback. A lot of what im hearing is that im trying to see too much in too short of time which i agree, i just feel like since its so far, and since the flights are so expensive id rather see as much as possible. I know that even if i spent a year in china i would just be scratching the surface. But i would really like to ATLEAT hit the big cities in china (beijing, shanghai and HK) and would really like to see vietnam and thailiand. Ive got a lot of serious decision making to do!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Singapore is a big modern city with no much of its own culture. Compared to your other destinations, there is virtually nothing to see there unless you think that going to the zoo is important.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

if i was just going to hit china, other than Beijing, Shanghai and HK what cities would you recommend me visiting?

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

Obviously, the answer is, it depends.

For history you have Beijing, Xi'An and a few spots in between such as Pingyao, maybe Datong and others.

For nature you have Yangshuo or, if you have more time, the province of Yunnan (Lijiang, Dali, Shangri-la and others).

For more modern China you ave Shanghai which only requires a couple of days but from which you can travel to a number of interesting towns nearby like Tongli, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Nanjing, etc...

You can google these names and see what fits your interests.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

what about chengdu?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

I thought about adding it and forgot. There is also Tibet. Big country.....

10. Re: 3-4 week Travel itinerary for china/south east Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 25, 2014