We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

Quezon City
Level Contributor
125 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

I'm narrowing my choices down to three: Wuhan, Kunming, and Beijing. As much as possible I'd like to avoid Beijing because a lot of people go there. I want to experience another side of China that's why I included Wuhan and Kunming as places I want to learn Mandarin in and explore more of China. How much are the living expenses for these 3 places?

I'm also open to other suggestions on where to study Mandarin where it isn't too cold in the winter. Thanks!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

How much time do you have? Are you interested in a language school or a university. Of course living expense in Beijing is higher than the other two places.

You may also want to consider Taiwan as another possibility.

Quezon City
Level Contributor
125 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

Hi thanks for replying! I'd stay there for 6 months to a year I'll see how things go first then consider extending another year (total 2 years).

I'm considering homestay/language school or university or a mix of the two whichever gives the best experience and language.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
893 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

Beijing is a good choice. I prefer Beijing.

You could learn some basic language skills via internet.

Such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Kunming is beautiful, I like it. I had stayed in Wuhan for 3 years. But both of them has local accent.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

I agree at Beijing you'd learn the best standard Mandarin pronounciation. But it is also the most expensive city to live in. You may also look into cities such as Shanghai or Nanjing.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

Beijing Mandarin Chinese is the accepted standard for the whole of China. The pronounciation is different to other areas of China. Bare that in mind when making your decision.

Edited: 11:44 pm, December 25, 2012
Guilin, China
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

In addition to your ideas, I would suggest Guilin. You said that you would like to see a different side of China and I think that is what you will find here. It's a decently sized city with more than enough shopping, markets, restaurants, and nightlife, yet you won't be able to get by speaking English to everyone like you would in a large city like Beijing, making it perfect for immersion. Also, just outside the city are beautiful mountains and small villages; the landscape is something you truly have to see in person. Additionally, the cost of living is very low, so you would be able to save some money to travel around on your study breaks :). I'm currently in Guilin studying at the Chinese Language Institute, check it out if you'd like www.studycli.com. Hope this suggestion helps!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,354 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

For standard mandarin and possibly an accent that is understood over the whole country, then it's Beijing. But mandarin is spoken everywhere and you are fine as long as you have a good teacher. It is on the street that you pick up the local accent. The important decision is to choose a good teacher, one that is qualified. A lot of people think that they can teach mandarin just because they spoke it. My teacher had a master degree from Beijing University and at one point was teacher there. Clearly qualified as a teacher. So, check their qualifications.

Yangshuo County...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

With all the pollution in Beijing recently, plus the high cost of living there, I would definitely recommend some other places like Kunming or Yangshuo.

In Yangshuo, you could take lessons for a lesser price or similar price with a private teacher, and come out much cheaper (regarding accomodation and food) and healthier (less polution, many outdoor activities...).

For those interested, Janie Chen is a private mandarin teacher there. She's really good, studied at BLCU (famous university in Beijing) and has perfect mandarin pronunciation.

(google for Janie Chen Yangshuo or something similar)

I hear Kunming is beautiful, though it's a big city so I don't know if it's as polution-free and relaxing as Yangshuo's countryside.

But, definitely look into other options than Beijing!! Too expensive and a waste of health

9. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, February 26, 2014
10. Re: Where is the best place to study Mandarin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 27, 2015