We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Focus Travel Review

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
China Focus Travel Review

China Focus Travel Trip Report

I recently returned from the China and Hong Kong 15 day tour with China Focus. There are very few trip reports, not counting the agency's testimonial page, so I wanted to put our thoughts here to maybe help other people decide if this is the trip style that they would be comfortable with. I have travelled independently to many different countries. My only other group tour was a two day in Egypt with another company. For the most part, we like the freedom and flexibility of travelling alone.

PLANNING: When planning for China, I was quite frankly overwhelmed by the prospect of putting together a two week trip by myself. When I read a good China Focus review by Arthur Frommer in my local paper I decided to check out the website and could not believe their prices. We would have spent close to that for the flights had we booked ourselves never mind paying for guides, food, hotels and entrance fees. After much trepidation we bit the bullet and booked with China Focus. Jason, one of the travel agents there is amazing to deal with and made me feel very comfortable about the tour and the company. He was easy to get a hold of, returned calls promptly if he was on the other line, and was just extremely pleasant and knowledgeable.

VALUE: The one thing I read over and over again about China Focus is that they deliver what they promise. It's absolutely true. There is huge value if you are going to book a tour with them. Everything besides the tip for the guides (which I will discuss later) is included. Except for the one day free in Hong Kong and one day free in Shanghai which we were on our own (which we loved).

CHINA AIR: Eh, it got us there and back. Old planes without personal tv's for a long flight. The flights from city to city in China were usually of better quality than the overseas flights. The food, again, not to my liking. Bring your own on the flight over and back.

GUIDES: All of the guides (but one) were extremely well educated and knowledgeable and very efficient. Our national guide, Mark, was the most caring, concerned father figure/big brother/mother duck who bent over backwards for every individual's needs. And some individuals were more needy than others. Mark made sure that 36 people never got lost and were on the bus on time and everything was on schedule. He also tried, and succeeded, to make sure everyone got their room requests, plane requests (one traveller just HAD to have a window seat on every flight).

There was one city guide who was a real scatterbrain in Shanghai. She wasn't bad she just wasn't good and we were used to having top quality guides up until this point. Luckily, we were only with her for one day. Shanghai itself was amazing.

FOOD: Ugh, I really got sick of eating the same foods day after day. China Focus needs to up their game here. There were 8 to 10 people to each table and the servers would bring out no less than 8 platters of food, many times much more than that. There was always rice, a few vegetable dishes, some sort of mystery meat dishes, always watermelon for dessert. A few times there was oranges. Plates and plates of food that seemed to be cooked in the same sauces. The soups were usually awful. Mostly looking like dirty dish water with a couple of frozen veggies thrown in for good measure. There were a few different soups that many at my table enjoyed. To drink, we all could have a small glass of soda pop or a glass of beer. You could buy more to drink if you wanted.

Although I disliked most of the food I will say that many in our group liked the food very much, although they were also tired of the lack of variety near the end of the tour.

The "American" buffet breakfast was good in some hotels, not great in others. Temperature of food was not right at a few places. I recommend not eating meat that is served at room temperature.

HOTELS: All of our hotels were of very good to excellent quality. Big to enormous rooms, very clean, lots of amenities, some suites. I was quite surprised, again given the price of the tour. I have already given separate reviews on TA for most of our China hotels.

Most of the hotels were not centrally located, except the Shanghai Riverview Hotel which was close to the Bund and the old city. This usually did not matter since there was very little time to venture out on our own. We were constantly on the move. Only in Hong Kong did had we wished for a more downtown location. Our room there was nice land modern but too far from the main areas since we did have a free day there. We took the free hotel shuttle to the main train station and use the subways (very clean with English signs). Also, taxi cabs are quite reasonably priced.

TRAVELLING WITH A GROUP: Like I said, this is my only time travelling with a group, other than Egypt. We had a great bunch of people. I was really worried about that but most of them were excellent to travel with. There were a couple of whiners that found fault in everything and expected to be catered to like they were on a high paying private tour but we were not personally bothered by them in any way.

TIPS: We all know going into this that there are tips to be paid. It is $8 per person per day. This covers everything. I have read that the guides get this money not as an actual tip but as their only pay. I believe it. I wish China Focus would just put this into the total cost and stop calling it a tip. Quite frankly I thought it was appaulling that the guides had to ask for it themselves. God knows, the guides earned their fee.

FACTORY STOPS: Yes, there are factory stops almost everyday. We all knew that going in. I wasn't particularly happy about this but all of the tours do it and so if you are taking a tour you need to suck it up. In the end they weren't bad stops at all. It was nice to just rest for a bit. There is no hard sell here. The mark up on most of the stuff was huge. I don't think I bought anything at any of the factories but many of the people in our group shopped until they dropped at every site. We were never much more than an hour at any of the factories. We once went to a teahouse that was ridiculously overpriced. Still, lots people bought.

The worst part of the factories is that a couple of times we had to eat at the factory afterward and the quality of food was particularly bad.

SITES: Most of the sites and cities were absolutely amazing. There were a few little sites that I felt we were doing just to kill time until our next flight which was fine. It's better than sitting at the airport. We had to do something but no one needs two hours to walk around the outside of the Bird's Nest.

SHOWS: We saw three shows. The only optional show was the one in Yangshuo ($40 US pp) and was not to be missed. Everyone loved the Shanghai acrobats and the Tang Dynasty Music and Dance show.

FREE TIME: Hardly any except in Shanghai and Hong Kong. I really would have liked to have more free time to explore and possibly find something to eat that I liked.

Will we take another tour with China Focus? Possibly. Now that we have been to China, I know where I want to go back and I am more confident that we could do this on our own and at our own pace. I might book a tour just for the price of the flights and hotels and just opt out of most of the tours.

Overall, China was and is absolutely an awesome and interesting country to visit and we will be back. China Focus Travel truly gives an outstanding value tour and I highly recommend the company if you are going to do a tour. Just know that there ARE trips to factories and 'tips' to be paid.

I am willing to answer any questions.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Riverview Hotel
Riverview Hotel
273 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,823 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Focus Travel Review

Thanks for the datailed report. Too bad about the food as you can have great food in China.

How big was your group?

About the tip, I think that part of it also went to the driver to pay fir his salary and his expense. A guide only makes $45 to 55 per day.

When you say that the tour cost nearly the same as a flight, how much was that? A flight from Toronto is about $1000. Traveling in China is cheap but this would be very cheap for two weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Focus Travel Review

Jean-Pierre D,

Our group size was 36 people. It sounds like a lot but in reality it was a very good size. Our buses were big and mostly brand new.

You are of course right about paying the driver with part of the "tip". BTW all of our drivers were great and drove very safely.

Our 15 day all inclusive package was $2,449 each (tax included) which included the flights to Xi'an, Guilin, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shanghai back to Beijing. When I was looking at Air Canada flights last summer (for Oct and Nov) I couldn't find anything cheaper than about $7,000 (seat sale) for the four of us. That was just from Toronto to Beijing return. When you add on the great hotels, flights, guides, food and all entrance fees, I think that China Focus is a very good value.

I looked at many more expensive tours from other companies and we paid less than a third of the price and went to the same places. Flights to China were not included and many of the tours started at over $5,000 for 12 days. I wonder if their food was better, though. Still not worth it for an extra $20,000 for a family of four.

Speaking of food, I know we could have been eating better than we were. We had quantity, for sure (tons) but the quality lacked in many restaurants. In fact, I kept hearing people on our tour saying "Oh well, this how the Chinese eat". I would reply, "Yes, poor farmers and their families".

I regularly eat in Chinatown in Toronto and have for about 24 years, not to mention my huband is Chinese Canadian so I do know real Chinese food and not all Chinese people eat the crap we were served. I actually went expecting to like the food more than many of the other tour members but the joke was on me.

I was really hoping that they would take us for Dim Sum but all of the food is served on platters, family style. The only dumplings that we ate were at the dumpling dinner and Tang Dynasty Show which were these little hard things. We were served about 17 different plates of them and they all tasted the same. I wasn't expecting Yank Sing but an average har gow dumpling would have been great. For fear of sounding overly whiny about the food I will stop. Again, about half of the group thought that the food was outstanding most of the time so to each his own.

I still highly recommend China Focus Travel based on the entire experience. In every other aspect they exceeded my expectations.

Edited: 5:48 pm, December 08, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Tang Dynasty Show
Tang Dynasty Show
851 Reviews
Xi'an, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,823 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Focus Travel Review

Ok thsnks for the clarification. I was just wondering as we had reports of people going on a $99 tour (not this company) so I was curious when you mentionned cheap. Air Canada has regular sales. I fly at least teice a year from Montreal to Beijing (which is slightly more expensive than Toronto) and I never pay more than $1200. You need to check their website regularly for this.obviously you finished your trip, so I am just saying this for future travelers.

I was asking about the size just to figure out how much tips in total per day. So this is about $200 so for sure a portion of it went to the driver as does the commissions on shopping. Often the driver has to pay for the bus rental and gas by himself, so the tips cover that as well.

Eating out is cheap in China, you can have dinner with meat and beer for $5-7, so there is always the option of skipping their organized dinner andventuring on your own. I think that good food should be one highlight of a trip to China.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: China Focus Travel Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 28, 2012