We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

Hi, I've been trying to help my dad get a visa to china. He is now a US Citizen, but was born in Hong Kong. Visa application for china requires that anyone born in China need to have their old chinese passport. My dad has his Old Hong Kong passport when it was till under British rule and his naturalization papers as well only. They said that his chinese name is not on the Hong Kong passport and that they need something with his chinese name on it. I tried to explain that it was under British rule at the time that's why there's no chinese name. My father doesn't have any documentation of his chinese name, he has long ago lost it all over 45 years ago. They just tell me to have him look for it. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

Some time ago there was a thread here about a Chinese born american who had issues but the person was born in mainland China, not Hong Kong.

I suggest that you post this in the Hong Kong forum where I would suppose several people are in this situation.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

I seem to remember a thread earlier this year on this. My thinking is that your dad was not born in China, thus does not fall under this rule When you say "they said", who are "they"? The Chinese consulate? Frankly I know many people who were born in China (my wife included) and they never seem to have any problem getting visa to China. And none of these people I know have Chinese passports.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

And BTW I was born in HK while under British rule also. I don't seem to have any problem getting Chinese visa. Now I even bypass this step by getting a travel permit for HK id holders that allows me to enter China. Saves me the visa fee.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

Yes, the chinese consulate told me in person, they need some documentation with his chinese name on it. My father was born in Hong Kong and not China. The consulate said that since his former nationality is chinese he must present something with his chinese name on it. The only documents he has is his Old British Hong Kong passport with his chinese name written in english and his naturalization papers. He has lost his Hong Kong ID card and isn't a Hong Kong citizen anymore since he never renewed it since coming to the US over 45 years ago. And yes, I've read those threads about having no documentation at all, but nothing really seemed to be resolved. He has his Hong Kong passport, but the consulate says it's not enough.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

Wow. You guys are fast. When I read this, there was no answer.

This thread was on a taiwan born US citizen

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k4404…

TSS- it is a fact that when you are born under these 3 areas- taiwan, HK and Macau you do need it. Whether the vice consul will actually ask for it at that time is subject to his/her mood.

…prchina.org/eng/…1

section no. A,f, a.

" Former Chinese citizens born on the mainland of China must also submit:

- The original Chinese passport and a copy of the picture page "

For OP, it is A, f, b " Former Chinese citizens born in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan must also provide the original and a copy of official proof of their Chinese names, e.g. Birth Certificate, former travel document, and resident card, etc." I'm no expert but maybe your dad can look for his old papers- any- school, residence card, etc. just to satisfy some archane requirements. Or you can go back and explain again- your dad was technically (?) a british subject at that time? The thread I posted above had a happy ending!

As a side note discussion, it seems China wants every genetically chinese person to be under their purview- looking further at their requirement, section A, g.

" A child of Chinese descent born in a foreign country, who applies for a Chinese visa for the first time, must also submit the original and a copy of Birth Certificate as well as the original and a copy of either parent's foreign passport or foreign permanent residence permit (e.g. US Green Card) in addition to requirements "a","b" and "c" stated above, so as to verify the child's citizenship. "

I asked an immigration lawyer to interpret this. As his understanding, even though 3rd generation chinese born to chinese (genetically) parent who were never chinese citizens would fall under this purview as a child of " chinese descent. " So my kids are born to a chinese (me) who was never a chinese citizen and was an american citizen at their birth; my kids natural born US citizens. Did I mention that when I applied for a visa, they asked for my kids birth certificate. I told them I did not bring it because they were born in the US and were US citizens at birth as attested in the passport.

Good luck. Whatever happens, please come back to fill us in. Any info you can give can help others.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

elisa, go back and ask THEM what else can suffice. Explain the situation. If nothing else, you might get a more sympathetic person. Or maybe you dad can do it like TSS. Get a HK Id permit or something like that.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

Another suggestion, if you live in NYC. Go to one of the many Chinese travel agents in Flushing. There are hundreds of thousands of Taiwan or HK born US citizens who go to China every year. Those agents must have some idea how it's done.

8. Re: chinese born US citizen applying for china visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 19, 2012