We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WeChat Pay and international credit cards

Pennsylvania
6 posts
WeChat Pay and international credit cards

I know that WeChat Pay started accepting international credit cards in January 2018. Has anyone successfully used WeChat Pay thus in China, particularly in conjunction with US credit cards?

142 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
41. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

Thanks for the tips in this thread. I finally was able to add my US VISA credit card to the WeChat app. Afterwards had a friend in China send me a red packet for 1CNY and received it fine. I guess I'll find out next week when in Shanghai if I can actually pay for stuff there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
863 posts
271 reviews
54 helpful votes
42. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

Pilot - I don’t think the app will pull money from your credit card. Normally the app links to your Chinese bank account to fund your account. I would have a backup plan like using Swapsy (https://theswapsy.com/login) to add money to your account.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
43. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

Yep, I wasn't planning on withdrawing from my US credit card but was just happy to get wallet established for possible WeChat payment. I plan to have friend send more money after we arrive to supplement wallet balance. I didn't want to do too much upfront in case I have issue with my WeChat account while in Shanghai. I can then resort to swapsy or just use cash on this trip.

4 posts
44. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

Hello guys,

I've been trying all the solutions you gave here in this forum, but I have not been totally successful on configuring WeChat with international VISA payment.

First, I couldn't add my VISA Credit Card in any way, so I followed online instructions ang managed to receive a red packet with 1 Yuan. Thanks to this, I could pass authentication process and add my VISA Credit Card, which is now available inside the "Wallet", in "Cards" section.

The problem is that it looks useless, because I can not charge more money to my balance (1 Yuan sent from my Chinese friend). When I try it, there is no chance to pick my previously added Visa card and I have to add a new one.

Also, when I'm in the payment screen, I can generate my own QR code, but just under it there is no chance to pick my credit cards. They are there my I can't select them, only the "WeChat balance" option.

All these problem make me think that I will not be able to pay via QR when I get China with these CC, because they are not correctly authenticated or smth like that.

Have anyone found a solution to these problems?

Did anyone manage to pay with non-China Credit Card using WeChat?

Thank you all in advance!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
45. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

The CC can not be used for direct payment (except for few exceptions I think), nor for topping up the wallet.

Basically it is only used for real name verification. You have to ask someone to send money to your wallet or use a service like Swapsy.

4 posts
46. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

So, then why do I want this real name verification if I'm not going to use it to pay? If I have balance sent from red packets I don't need any name verification nor credit card bound to pay, right?

And about swapsy, I read from it and checked their website but it's 100% US, so there is nothing to do to me (I'm from Spain, so my currency is Euros €).

Thanks BePu.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
47. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

I think real name verification is needed now a days for using the wallet at all.

I asked Swapsy if they also allow non US IDs for verification. Can pay with paypal so I guess can use US$. Not sure for about the costs for that. Will look in to it if I can register. Else I have to change euros to RMB anyway.

Edited: 9:33 am, August 23, 2018
4 posts
48. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

I tried yesterday my swapsy registration, and they gave me a response today as "Declined". The reason is that my ID is not from US, as you can see when you upload the picture.

So it is not only about US Dollars, but also about US registration.

I found this alternative https://www.vpayfast.com/wechatAuthentication but I still have to check it out.

Thanks.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
49. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

I used it to transfer 100 rmb to my wallet as a test. But I think they are pretty expensive.

4 posts
50. Re: WeChat Pay and international credit cards

If you mean the last one I provided, yes they do have a pretty bad currency exchange. I think it's around 1€ - 6.6¥, when I've been told that best change is 1€ - 7.8¥, which you can get in some Chinese banks, for example.

Regards.

Reply to: WeChat Pay and international credit cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted