We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport.

ipswich
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nairobi Airport.

We came over at the end of September last year and the airport was chaotic due to the recent fire and renovations ( although everybody was trying their hardest to keep things running as normal as possible ). How is it now - is it all back to normal? , we are coming over next month.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi Airport.

It is not back to "normal" but all is running smoothly in December. I got through quicker than in the pre-fire days.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi Airport.

We went through a few weeks ago. On arrival it took a solid hour to get through immigration. Not really chaotic but a little long.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi Airport.

Arrival is fine but departure is an absolute nightmare & the interior of the departures area still resembles a slum. Apart from that it's fine.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi Airport.

We just left Nairobi airport a few days ago and although I agree, the airport itself leaves much to be desired, we found it pretty fast to get through immigration. I have to state that we were about 5 hours early for our flight (we weren't at all hungry to go for dinner beforehand so we decided to go straight to the airport and wait it out). The lighting in the waiting area is pretty bad, makes you feel like a zombie and it isn't exactly 'nice' but there's still plenty of seating and at least we didn't have to wait in long lines. There are also a lot of stores although pretty sure they all sell the same things...

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi Airport.

iAnyone know: is there still a coffee place? maybe Java House Wifi available?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,538 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi Airport.

Java House is still there and operating, if they had free wifi before the fire they still will (can't remember because I never used it, I've just used my normal dongle in the past, though if they have it I may use it in a couple of weeks now i have a smartphone)

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi Airport.

I just flew from Nairobi last night.

I found arrivals slower than previously, but I think that was because they now have buses to get you from the plane so it's not as easy to get in the queue first as everyone arrives at once.

I actually thought departures was much the same as before. Kenya Airways are now using what used to be the pay-per-visit lounge as their business class lounge. However, just in the normal seating area I was picking up a free wifi. No idea where it was from but the network was called something like JKIAfree.

Java House is still there, although I didn't go, and all the duty free shops are there. I actually expected a lot worse.

Interestingly, in both directions my Kenya Airways flight was maximum two thirds full, and probably half on the way home. I've never seen the flights that empty. People I met who had flown with BA said similar. My advice is book a seat near the back of the plane. They tend to fill the seats from the front. I was in row 41 coming back and had a row of 3 all to myself, as did most people in that back section.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi Airport.

Stokeygirl

I'm guessing that when you board this bus, they will have room on it for your carry on bags to carry on board the bus?

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi Airport.

Yes, always get a seat near the back. I've been on flights that had every seat filled forward of the trailing edge of the wing, and just a few of us luxuriating in the back with whole rows to ourselves. It seems passengers want to be first in the immigration line, but you just have to walk faster than most of them when you get off and voila, you're at or near the front of the line!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi Airport.

The bus is mainly standing, so yes you take your carry on onto it.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa