We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

Cape Town
Level Contributor
61 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

Hi everyone

We are thinking of staying in Diani for about four days at a resort (probably half board) and are looking forward to just relaxing / chilling on the beach.

I have had a look at flights from Nairobi and am shocked at the price difference between the two desitations. I have checked KQ and Fly540 (flying to Mombasa) versus safarilink and airkenya (Ukunda) and the price difference between flying to Ukunda and Mombasa is staggering!! Now my question is - is it worth an extra $140 per person to fly to Ukunda? I am not familiar with the area at all, it doesn't look too far from MBO to Diani, but I understand that the only way to get to Diani is by ferry.... what is the amount of time added to the trip if flying to MBO?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

Flying to Ukunda is more convenient if you are staying on the South Coast. You will be within 5-30 min from just about any property you choose. Also getting to Wilson in Nairobi is easier than to JKIA at certain times of the day.

If you come to Mombasa it will take you upwards of 1h40-1h45 to get to Diani if there is no ferry queue. Ferry crossing itself is only a matter of a few minutes as the channel is narrow and is interesting if you have never done it before, queue is however unpredictable at times, also it will depend on the time you are flying in. There is a priority pass which allows us to jump the queue, but not many have it from what I see - we use ferry a few times a day and we know just about every pass holder!

Take into consideration your convenience and price of transfer, but flying into Mombasa is not the end of the world either.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

2. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

Jonesj_12, I think we discussed it earlier sometime. Unless you know a particular car for sure, I do not know of any taxi which has a priority pass (actual pass rather than "an arrangement"). Priority pass is quite an expensive thing to have and we have to pay quarterly in advance. KFS are getting stricter now, priority pass holders have been and continue to complain to the management about non priority holders using priority lane, so this has been largely stopped.

Having said that, the situation at the ferry is not as awful as some people try to present it. Ok, queues happen and of course rush hour will always be busier than some other time of the day, but in general things improved quite a lot in the last 3 years since the new ferries arrived.

Take care :)

Larissa

4. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

I found out yesterday that Mombasa Safari Air have a shuttle service from Mombasa Airport to Ukunda every morning at 0730 for US$30 per person. If you are on KQ 600 from NBO to MBA, it leaves NBO at 0600 and arrives at 0700, you can make it for the shuttle.

Does anyone know if the shuttle is reliable?

6. Re: Fly to Ukunda or Mombasa for Diani holiday

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa