We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to kenya

redjelly10
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
travel to kenya

Hi my daughter is travelling with her school over to Kenya. They are going for two weeks, however she is a vegetarian and although we know there are plenty of fruit and other subsitutes but she is worried about being offered meat. So we thought we would send her with some sachets of peanut butter and jam etc. to put on bread while she is over there if she needs to. The group won't have access to supermarkets easily so I wanted to be sure that she is allowed to take that sort of food onto the country.

Thanks

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to kenya

Meat is something of a luxury in Kenya. At the orphanage I support its a rare treat and usually only when we go and they slaughter a goat or sheep in our honour. Bread is also something of a luxury item and not readily available.

Where is she going and what will she be doing there? If its a community project she'll be very very lucky to be given meat. If its a safari type holiday then there'll be plenty of vegetarian options on offer.

Edited: 2:07 pm, April 14, 2013
redjelly10
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to kenya

Hi. she travels in a few weeks. It is an exchange trip with link schools in Kenya. We have been told that meat is a luxury and I think her main concern is causing offence if something should be slaughtered due to the groups arrival as she has never eaten meat. So we wanted just to be sure that she would have some sort of protein in the form of peanut butter to keep her going. I think that apart from that she will have a fantastic trip she is so excited as it has been two years in the planning and fundraising. I just want to be sure that if she does take food stuff in to the country they won't be confiscated on her arrival.

Thanks

Cindy

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to kenya

Hi,

She should have no problem taking the stuff in. There are no foodstuffs on the prohibited or restricted items lists. If she is given a a Passenger Declaration Form on the plane technically she should tick / check the food products box on the form. Though It is unlikely that she will be given the form.

You've posted this on the Mombasa forum, is she flying direct into Mombasa, or is she going via Nairobi? If she is entering the country in Nairobi it is unlikely she will be stopped by customs anyway, especially if she is part of a party of school children. If she is flying direct into Mombasa the customs people are notorious, looking for bribes or threatening to confiscate things, (they even made the Chairman of the Coast Tourist Association open his bag much to his annoyance recently) but even they may let a school party through unchallenged and should not be interested peanut butter, etc anyway. If they do stop her tell her to say she has nothing to declare, if they make her open her bag and query the food stuffs, tell her to tell them they are for her to eat while she is here as there are many foods she cannot eat.

redjelly10
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to kenya

Thanks so much for the response, it has been hugely beneficial. She is flying into Nairobi I believe and then travelling across Kenya for two weeks. I will let her know what you have said as it will put her mind at rest.

Thanks once again

Cindy

5. Re: travel to kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations