We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
l.a.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

Hi everyone. My family of four is planning to spend three or four nights at Diani Beach. We'd also, at some point, like to see Mombasa's Fort Jesus and Old Town. The question is how to do it.

We could, I suppose, just take a taxi into Mombasa one day and then back to our hotel. But I wonder if that's unnecessarily costly and time-consuming.

Alternatively, we could try to visit Fort Jesus/Old Town just after arriving at the airport, or on the day we fly out, before going to the airport. But in those scenarios we would have luggage with us. Is there someone or some place we could store our luggage with while touring Fort Jesus/Old Town?

Any suggestions?

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

Hi, have a look at this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k6… - it is just about your scenario, especially towards the end. I think there you will find every single angle and advice :)

There are no storage places for your luggage, you can only leave it in a car. This is possible, the driver has to be recommended, pur guests have done it on more than one occasion. Anyway, read the thread, I am sure you will find it useful.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

Hi - it's convenient to get it "over & done with" soon after landing, since you have to take the ferry to get across to Diani. It's OK to leave the luggage with the taxi driver as you take a tour of Old Town.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

After a long night flight, do you really want to be sightseeing? Not me, I just want to relax. For the sake of a taxi fare, save it until you aren't tired or pressed for time, during the middle of your stay.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

I agree with Tembofan.

After a long journey changing planes etc the last thing we want to do is sight see when we are tired on arrival.

All we wish to do is get settled into our hotel on the south coast and unpack etc.

We often take a taxi into Mombasa for the day at our leisure and as he (the driver) is a friend will take us to places we wish to visit.

We set off early in the morning and make a full day of it having lunch etc.

Edited: 9:28 am, February 20, 2013
5. Re: Combining Diani Beach visit and seeing Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa