We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

I am hoping to have made the connection to the 23.05 Mombasa flight (if BA don't let me down) and will need a taxi from the airport to Pinewood Beach around midnight.

I usually get the hotel to book the taxi for me but on the last few occasions there has been a no show plus several times when we have also had to pay the driver on arrival despite having already paid the hotel in advance. It therefore seems easier to leave them out of the loop and get a taxi at the airport on arrival. This also removes the problem of having a taxi already booked if I miss the connection out of Nairobi.

Will there be any problems trying to get a taxi to past Ukunda after midnight?

Are all taxis operating out of Mombasa airport registered? If not how do I identify those that are?

As an alternative, does anyone have a reliable, reasonably priced taxi contact.

Can I still expect the price to be around KS4,500?

I need to be sure as I am travelling alone this time and need to feel safe. I will be arriving the week before the election on the 28th Feb but will also need a taxi again on the 8th March to collect my partner from the airport but at least he arrives at a more sensible 9.30am.

Thanks in advance

Anna

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

Myself, i'd be a bit weary on taking taxi to Ukunda after midnight.

Think again. Go next day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

I agree with STEFANILARDA that it's not a good idea to travel after midnight to Ukunda, if your taxi breaks down in the middle of nowhere you could find yourself in trouble.

Personally I would stay the night in Nairobi and then fly the following morning to Mombasa.

There are some good hotels close to the airport (but not too close) and are not too expensive.

These are the prices you're looking at, I cannot name the hotel as it will be deemed as advertising.

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20130104-usni-58kb.…

It also takes the pressure off you, if your B.A flight arrives late and you miss your (assuming) Kenya Airways flight to Mombasa you'll have to pay for another flight the following morning.

If you have already booked your Nairobi-Mombasa flight then good luck!

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

As hoteliers we would personally advise to arrange a transfer with the hotel you are staying at if they provide this type of service, preferably with a hotel vehicle. Your hotel is around 55 km from Mombasa airport (apprx. 15 to the ferry and 40 from the ferry), and at that time of night ferry operates once an hour, so it is better for you to feel comfortable. A few extra pounds is not comparable with your peace of mind especially as you are traveling on your own. We, for example, arrange all transfers for our clients ourselves regardless of the time of arrival or departure, and find that they are more comfortable when we do their transfers.

Having said that, if you are determined to take a taxi there are official yellow taxis at the airport, they are registered and usually there is a coordinator who would assign a taxi for a particular trip. You may also opt to stay that night in Mombasa town. We have a number of trusted taxi drivers who we use if our guests want to go somewhere and if you PM us we will gladly recommend them.

We wish you a very happy holidays in Kenya!

shamba25
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

I have on more than one occasion arrived at mombasa on the 12.05am flight & travelled to Ukunda on the same night using my usual taxi driver with no problem, I have never given it another thought to stay over for the night - Just like during the day valubles in the boot, doors locked & travel with a local trusted driver -

There are a few trusted posters on here who have suggested on previous posts to contact them for a trusted taxi driver.

It is a personal choice & you should only do what you feel comfortable with.

Single female traveller.

15. Re: Taxi from airport to other side of Ukunda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, January 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa