We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo camping safari tipping

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
561 posts
Save Topic
Solo camping safari tipping

I know there has been several treads about this subject but I need to get some help regarding tipping, money to carry etc.

I am going solo on a couple of camping safaris. The first one I'll be going with a group for only 4 days. We will be staying at different campsites. I believe there is a dinning area for the whole campsite.

So I'm wondering how much should I plan for tipping (not trying to solve hunger in Africa since I don't have the budget) but would like to be safe.

The second safari I signed up to join a group, but so far they have not found anybody, so this might turn into a private sans the extra charge (TZ).

I've been told that there will be a guide and a cook, so it sounds that I would be spending more $$ for tipping.

The TO told me that when traveling with another person or more the tipping is divided among the group, but as a solo I can't afford taking the responsibility to pay as a vehicle full of people

How much should I be planning for tipping for a 5 days budget camping safari

The other question I have is how much $$ to carry. I have pre-paid most of my trip. The only thing that I'm anticipating will be Visas, one hotel, transportation.

On this trip I'm going to take cash and 2 debit cards (Emergency money).

I was thinking taking a couple of $100 one will be to pay for the TNZ Visa, should I take the rest of the cash in $20, or ??. I do plan to take $1, for emergency, tipping or buying small items.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo camping safari tipping

For the Kenyan Safari calculate with 5 a Day...

for the Tanzanian Safari calculate with 5 US for the Driver and 5 US for the cook as minimum Tip.

Please give the tips in the local currency respective to ensure the tip can help the person who receives it and does not give him problem to get the US or other currency changed into the local currency.

Then if you decide to give more (if you are very happy) or don t want to give because you feel not happy with the way you where treated... then do not give a tip.... (hope will not happen)

Enjoy

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo camping safari tipping

Wow you are the second person that did not believe in solving Global poverty

It has been my impression after reading several postings on this subject that our culture has a tendency to over paid in tipping even when it's not deserved

I received an email from a Dutch lady married to an African Kenyan and living in Africa and she also told me the same

Even with the $59/modal her husband makes she has notices tha we US pays way too much in tipping

In fact the Tour Oorratirs have a higher minimum for tipping posted on their website $20/perform just for the guide, tren need to add mire fir the Cooking n waters

We're talking basic canvas tent no chandelier, duvet kind of setting at a public campsite

And that's why I posted my question because I'm confused and with a limit budget

And yes even people going on a Safaris we have a budget

Interesting I have only received 2 responses

It must be a non-issue touchy subject

Thanks for the honest suggestion

3. Re: Solo camping safari tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 28, 2013