We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Liverpool
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Weather in July - Voyager Beach

We have just booked the Voyager Beach for 6 July, but I've been told that this time of year is winter in Kenya and to expect torrential rain! Has anyone been in July - please tell us it will be sunny! Also is anyone else going to Voyager then?

Mentioned in this post
Voyager Beach Resort
Voyager Beach Resort
3,302 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
London, UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

I'm going to the Voyager in May... and hope to tell everyone my experience when I get back.

As for the weather: Look at the average temperatures for the region on BBC - bbc.co.uk/weather/…

But with 'global warming' and all those delights, I am not sure anyone can tell you what the weather will be.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Thanks for the advice - I looked on bbb.co.uk and the weather looks OK for July. Enjoy your holiday, look forward to reading all about it.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Hi jan66

I've been in Diani (45mins south of Mombasa) in three different July's (1999,2000 & 2002)and have to say the weather was great each time. Really hot and sunny. It rained most days for about 20mins in the late afternoon but then the sun came out and dried everything up. Infact the rain came as a bit of a relief, just don't leave your book by your sun lounger - 'cos when it rained, it really rained. To be honest I've been to Kenya at four different times of the year and I really like the June-July period. I'm not a sun god but when I went in March two years ago it was so hot at the coast that I didn't know what to do with myself which consequently led to more money being spent over the bar.

The Voyager Resort was really good I thought. I was there last year and was very impressed with it's standards and location. It's an absolute must to go to The Tamarind Restaurant in Mombasa. The actual restaurant (they also do the Tamarind Dinner Cruise with a more restrictive menu) is simply awesome!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Tamarind Mombasa
Tamarind Mombasa
607 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Liverpool
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Thanks GituGubwa - that's really helpful and certainly puts our minds at rest. Thanks for the tip about Tamarind Restaurant, it sounds great, and we'll definitely be going there.

We are thinking of booking a safari when we arrive at Voyager. Do you recommend this? I've been reading other reviews and it sounds at though many people do this through local agents or beach boys. We are thinking of doing a 3 day safari. What would be our best options? Any help would be much appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Tamarind Mombasa
Tamarind Mombasa
607 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Hi

Sorry for late response. I would definitely recommend a safari but I would try and book it before you go. As much as I really like the Beach Boys in Kenya (they really are great fun and interesting to talk to) I would not recommend booking a safari with them. I've always booked mine through local companies or the Travel Agent. If you look on past threads many people on hear seem to get a good deal using DM Tours, a company South of Mombasa.

Firstly though you need to decide on your budget and where you want to go. I can recommend the Mara and Samburu, but you would have to fly there which naturally puts up the cost. Tsavo is driveable and is a great place for a safari although there isn't the same concentration of game as is viewable in Samburu or the Mara.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Nairobi
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

honestly the best sfari starts from August, other wise you will have a rainy safari

Gloria

bukachi

Liverpool
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Thanks for the info - I don't think we'll be able to afford to fly to Mara, although would love to. I've read some good reports on Tsavo East & West safari, and this looks to be in our budget. Is it possible to book with DM Tours before leaving, or would this be done when we get there? I've heard it's really cold early morning/night on safari, but is it cold in Mombasa during the evening?

Re Vogayer Beach Hotel - we've booked superior garden view rooms - does anyone know if these have a fridge in the room.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

I think you can book with DM Tours before you go. I know somebody came back recently and posted they had a great time with DM. Check previous threads.

I've been to Tsavo for three safaris and really enjoyed all of them. Last year we stayed at Satao Camp in Tsavo East. It's a tented camp and a really great place. I'd enquire about that place.

I've also stayed in Voi Lodge which has an incredible view across the vast plains (and I mean VAST). Ngulia Lodge which usually gets a visit from a leopard although it didn't show when we were there.

Saltlick Lodge is fantastic. The whole place is on stilts above a watering hole - three lioness and six cubs drank from the watering hole the night we stayed there. And finally Ziwani Tented Camp which is another great camp with a view across to Mount Kili first thing in the morning. I'd recommend any of these places although it is not an exhaustive list.

We had an upgraded Sea View Room at Voyager. Good location right next to the quiet pool (no kids allowed at that one) and the beach. There was no fridge though.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Thanks again for the info - Saltlick Lodge sounds fantastic. We'll make enquiries re DM and read through previous posts.

Reading through reviews on Voyager, it sounds fantastic so I don't think we need worry, and I'm sure we can manage without a fridge.

This is going to be a really special holiday - roll on July!

leeds
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in July - Voyager Beach

Hi! We are also going to the Voyager in July - we fly out on 10th. This forum has been great for info, so thanks for all the advice. I can't wait! See you there Jan66!