We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

#days, 2 night safari

Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
#days, 2 night safari

Hi

We are planning a safari for two nights and have been recomended to stay at one camp instead of include bot east+ west Tsavo or west tsavo+ amboseli. Because it is to short time to waiste on driving.

Any opinion?? We have desided to go for a luxury camp, but we cant deside what of the tree parks above to visit? where is it best to see the big 5, and not drive in a que??

Thanks a lot for all feedback:)

Hanne

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: #days, 2 night safari

If you are planning to spend two nights on Safari then you will spend most of your time travelling between parks if you decide to visit Tsavo and Amboseli. I don’t see any problem if you chose to spend 1 night in Tsavo East and another in Tsavo West as the parks are only separated by the Mombasa - Nairobi highway. Your best chance of seeing the big 5 is Tsavo West but game viewing is a matter of being in the right place at the right time and nothing can be guaranteed.

What accommodation have you been offered?

Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: #days, 2 night safari

thanks for the reply! We would like to stay at Finch Hattons Camp in West Tsavo and I think galdessa camp in east tsavo looked beatiful. Have you ever been there?

Hanne

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: #days, 2 night safari

I haven’t stayed at any of them but know they are both outstanding. PattyC has stayed at Finch Hattons and should be able to help you with any questions. Both camps allow you plenty of privacy and you are unlikely to come across the masses of safari vans that you would find at some of the other parks.

Tsavo is the real out of Africa miles of African bush all to yourself.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: #days, 2 night safari

If you have only 2 nights, I would not go all the way to Amboseli. It is still several hours away from Tsavo West and you will spend much of your 3 days traveling between parks rather than game viewing. Amboseli is a very small park compared to the two Tsavos and can have overcrowding problems. But because the landscape is flat swamp land, it is very easy to see the game, whereas in Tsavo (at least in Tsavo West, not sure about East) you have to work harder for your sightings because of the denser foliage and hilly terrain. If you can squeeze in an additional night, then perhaps you could include Amboseli.

For 2 nights, my personal preference would be to choose one camp/park rather than packing up and moving after a single night, but if you really want to see 2 parks, then Tsavo West and East is a possible combination. If going to/from Tsavo East to Finch Hattons, keep in mind that the camp is located on the far western border of Tsavo West, so it will take a few hours for the transfer. However most of the drive will be inside the park with game viewing opportunities along the way. I forget exactly where in Tsavo East Galdessa is located.

We stayed 3 nights at Finch Hattons and could have stayed longer. It is one of those places that once you get there, you do not want to leave. The camp is located in an oasis like area over natural springs and a good 20 minutes away from any other camp. It is unfenced so there is wandering through and some of the best moments are just sitting on your verandah watching the hippo babies play in the springs or other game at camp. If you stay there, request tent #7 if available. The landscape in Tsavo West is very dramatic and there are two hill top lookouts where you can have a picnic with a view overlooking large stretches of the park.

As far as seeing the big 5, no single park can guarantee you sightings of all of the big 5 species and you should consider yourself extremely lucky if by chance you do see all of them within the span of 3 days. That said, you will most likely see elephant, lion, and buffalo in any of these parks. Leopards are harder to spot and rhino are even more difficult. In Tsavo West, there is a fenced rhino sanctuary near Ngulia Hills which is open from 4:00pm-6:00pm daily, but even inside this fenced sanctuary, you are not guaranteed to see them. You will not find crowds in either Tsavo West or East, and places like the rhino sanctuary were the only ones where we encountered other vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: #days, 2 night safari

Thanks a lot!! Im so looking foreward to this vacation!!! It is great to have someone to ask all those questions we have:) I think we will stay at Finch for both nights, and just enjoy life!

No stressing:)

Hanne

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: #days, 2 night safari

Have a great trip!

Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: #days, 2 night safari

I have been given a price for a safari to finch Hattons/ galdessa for 660$ pp. sharing a jeep (4 people)Is this what to expect everywhere?

Will the price change if we book in mombasa rather on the internet (with the same company)?

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: #days, 2 night safari

Is this for 2 nights? What time of year are you going? The initial quote we received for 4 nights at Finch Hattons traveling by road from Nairobi was USD 1099pp for a private safari for 2. This was high season last year and I'm not sure how much prices have gone up. I don't know which tour operator you contacted, but one based in Mombasa that I've heard good comments about is Southern Cross Safaris. The tour operator I used is Eastern & Southern Safaris based in Nairobi. You can also contact them to see if they can arrange a safari departing from Mombasa. Get a couple of comparison quotes and see what other operators are charging.

Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: #days, 2 night safari

we are going in the middle of march:)

Mantsala, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: #days, 2 night safari

We did a one week safari with Southern Cross as the operator. Great work, great service, great guide. We were really pleased with the offer.