We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Dorset
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

This is my first ever trip to Kenya, to Voyager beach resort,Is it best to take local currency (schillings)or American dollars? or a bit of both? Are the electrical plugs the same as UK?

Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:53 pm, November 29, 2005
newcastle UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

i advise KSH for currency,but travellers cheques are ok I would not advise booking any trips off the beach boys some people paid and never got picked up,use Felicia at the discovery desk she will get a cheaper deal than the rep offers

rk001mobile@aol.com for more info

uk
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Hi

I would advise to take most in Kenyan shillings especially small notes such as 100's as the are very useful for tipping and the locals find it expensive to change other currencies. In the hotel we stopped in everything was priced in euros so we took a mixture but to be honest next time I will probably just take shillings. As far as plugs go we never had a problem with the electricity at all and the uk 3 pin plugs are used everywhere as far as I know, ( we didn't even have a problem with these on Safari in the lodges )

it is a fantastic country and I am sure you will have a great time, just remember you are in Africa and you will be fine.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Shillings (not schillings!!), but you may well get a better exchange rate here. Sterling is fine - no need to bother with dollars. Don't forget your ATM card - there is one at Nairobi Airport Arrivals (hoping it is working) I don't knopw about Mombasa.

One shilling is about 1p - a little under.

Electricity - not always reliable, but when it works, same as UK.

London
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Hi I returned from Kenya 3 weeks ago, we took shillings and dollars, the dollars we used to pay for excursions and safari etc. but the rest of the time we used shillings, i agree you need to try to get plenty of the smaller size notes(100's) for tipping, I don't know about cashpoint at mombasa airport but there is a barclays with cashpoint not too far from the voyager but probably too far to walk to.

sockets we had no problems with the sockets or the electricity supply.

Enjoy your holiday

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Does anyone know if you can change sterling in your hotels or does it have to be ATM or bank. Also does anyone have an idea of what the exchange rate is for Sterling in Kenya.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa