We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria prevention ?

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
malaria prevention ?

need to know which tablets to take is it 1)atovaquone(malarone) or 2)mefloquine the only 2 choices we have which may be suitable for us as a family 4 adults 66yrs 41yrs 38yrs 16yrs 1 child 7yrs old.Has anyone used these did you have any side effects.As 1)has some horrid side effects but 2)has some the same and mood changes + depression anxiety.my doc recomends no2)while nurse we had our yellow f jab with says no1).what prices did you pay ?

many thanks kim

London
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria prevention ?

Hi Kim

i just finished my malaria course today...... i used the malarone..... only side effect i had was loss of appetite... and to be honest i can afford to lose my appetite a little so not complaining there. cost me £56 for 22 day course. I was in bamburi for 15 days the rest were taken either side of the holiday. I will be using the malarone again when i return in March

Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria prevention ?

We are traveling in two weeks and have begun our mefloquine. Nice thing about this one is one tab per week until we return. Semms more reasonable than a 24 day regiment.

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria prevention ?

thanks heartinnyali and t194509

for your veiws & replying so quick they are both very helpfull.kim

wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria prevention ?

ive just had my injections today, and the nurse said she might aswell give me my prescription for malaria tablets at the same time (even though im not going for 2 months!)

ive been given malerone. on prescription there free as im under 25, but for my boyfriend who is 25 he has to pay £4..which still is really good! so id advise on getting them through your doctors, as it seems the cheapest way.

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria prevention ?

thanks wales gal

i have a docs appointment next week i will ask her then,she has told me on the phone it will be £39 for malarone so i can tell her maybe here under 25 can get a free scrip,are you in wales by any chance,maybe its different prices around the country hope not.I also asked in tesco chemist she gave price of malarone 12 tabs for £27.50 or mefloquine 8 tabs for £17.44.also got price list from masta clinic mal 12 tabs £42.00,meflo 8 tabs £27.50.will keep looking in to it,kim

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria prevention ?

hi what i would like to know is when anyone has taken any anti malaria tabs have they had any other side effects,as we would like to take the one a week tabs but they say they have the worst side effects,any more help would be good.we went to Goa india last year and took anti malaria tabs bought from over the counter,but going to Kenya you have to get prescription only ones.We didnt realy have any side effects last year only a bit of (we are not sure if it was delly belly )bad belly just a bit loose if you know what i mean.thanks kim

wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria prevention ?

yeah i am in Wales...

i wouldnt have thought that it would be different because your in England???

Not really fair if it is!!

My nurse wasn't so sure herself, she brought it up on her comp, to see which ones they give out on perscription and it was Malarone...she said that if it was on private perscription then i would have to pay, but thankfully it wasnt!

o and before she looked she recomended malarone as this hardley has any side effects, the other ones she offered can cause hallusinations (in worse cases) and anxiety.

but don't quote me on that!!!!!

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria prevention ?

thanks wales gal

keep me informed if you have any more news.

I will let you know how i get any if i do.

kim

Barry,South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria prevention ?

Hi, I used Malarone with no side effects whatsoever. I am surprised though as I was told that I and my 14 year old son had to have a private prescription, that we couldnt get them on the National Health. We paid GBP 20 for prescriptions and GBP 109 from Boots on line for both of us. Malarone was recommended as the tablet with the least side effects.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: malaria prevention ?

We too have been given the private prescription for Maralone where ontop of the script charges we have to pay approx £50 each...and the kid's strength one's have been quoted approx £35 each, (i've lost my scribbled quote's that I had) .....I can only guess that it depend's on what mood the doc's in on the day :)I do remember reading on here before that some lucky person got a course for just the script charge of £6.80....kind doctor or chemist error with charges I guess.

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa