We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Had my jab about a week ago, and feeling increasingly rubbish as the 10 day incubation period date (22nd May) approaches. Neckache, constant headache, very very dodgy stomach and generally just really lacklustre. I've checked the side effects and we've pretty much got all of them as above so we must fall into the '1 in 10' category! Did anybody else have this and how long does it last? We'll be on the malarone next week so the thought of the two combined - just lovely! Thanks all.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Hi Es

Sorry to hear you're unwell. I didn't have side effects with the jabs but I get them everytime with Malarone so you might be the opposite and be OK!!

If you do get some with Malarone, they usually only last 24 hours (upset tummy, nausea), drink plenty of water and flat lemonade (for the sugar). You're other side effects from the jab should be wearing out by now. If they get worse, speak to your GP he might be able to give you something to counteract them.

Min x (chin up, it'll all be worth it soon....)

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Thanks so much for this and the good advice on malarone - I'm anticipating dodgy tummy as nearly everybody I know who has taken it has felt like that. But these side effects aren't too nice at all, fingers crossed they are over soon! As you say, it'll be worth it when we get to Kenya!

Poole
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Hi, yes I had all of your symptoms afer having my yellow fever injection. Mine lasted about 3/4 days. I am off to kenya next week and have to start taking my malarone tablets on Sunday :(. Not looking forward to any more side effects.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

I take my malaria tabs at dinner so that its not on an empty stomach and you have all night for them go get into you system. Copious amounts of Tusker usually accompanies them!!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

We had our jabs last Tuesday and felt really ill on Sunday especially in the night. I thought we had got away with it ( apart from a lovely bruise on my arm ) but no........ We are starting to feel better now, didn't know wether it was side effects from yellow fever jab or swine flu !! Who could tell : )

Southern California
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Been there, done that. It goes away and it is apparently minor compared to the real thing.

I cannot comment about real yellow fever, but I have seen people "stretchered out" of Sudan and Indonesia with malaria and dengue fever and I left India in 1980 with amoebic dysentery weighing 136 lbs (I weighed ~180 going in two weeks before).

On review the above reads scary, but only if one "overlooks" a lot of "uncomfortable" realities. We have malaria, dengue, and a parade of other horribles in the Southern Unites States (e.g., California, Florida, and Texas). And I have heard that the same applies to parts of Italy and France.

The chances that anything will effect a healthy person from the US or Europe are very, VERY small, and most things are manageable, everywhere, as long as one has at least a credit card to evac out or pay for best grade local treatment.

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Hi,

Had no side effects from the Yellow fever jab. I find Malarone can make you feel bit nauseous, best to take it on a full stomach. I found taking it after dinner was ok, sometimes bit nauseous the morning after, but fine again once eaten breakfast. Great excuse to enjoy all the yummy food on offer - medicinal purposes of course lol :0)

Humberston-on Sea
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Wait until; the dreams kick in!!!!(malarone)

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

Its not the dreams I worry about, its the hallucinations that get me

Humberston-on Sea
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yellow fever vaccination side effects - feeling yucky

..Thought they only happened in Blackpool...!