We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good books???

wales
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
30 helpful votes
Good books???

I dont know if anyone can help with this one but.....

I like to relax with a good book on holiday but as I tend to get over-absorbed with a good story I like it to reflect the place where I am staying. After all I am going to be in Africa in July and dont want my head to be in the Alps in during a harsh December.

Can anyone reccomend a good read with an African theme? I read Born Free as a kid (might get it again) and I am thinking of Roots (yes I know its set in Gambia, but there is some connecting history.)

Thanks

Alison

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
32 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Good books???

Out of Africa, The White Masai, Ghost in the darkness, Ladies Detective Agency series - that should keep you going!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Good books???

How about The Man Eaters of Tsavo.

Wilbur Smith books are set in north Africa, the first book i read of his was borrowed from the hotel when i first went to africa. I have read every one now.

Mick

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
64 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: Good books???

Robert Ruark has written a couple of books about Kenyan life during the Mau Mau crisis, I read them some years ago and enjoyed them: They are called “Uhuru” and “Something of Value”

A more recent book “Tick Bite Fever” by David Bennun – humorous autobiography is readily available. (Amazon)

If you do a Google Search for “Tick Bite Fever” and go to the Amazon (UK) Site it lists a number of African Books.

(I’ve just noticed that a 2nd hand "Something of Value" is selling at forty something pounds on Amazon, I’m feeling quite peeved as I donated it to the local charity shop some months ago).

The Wilbur Smith books are good too. “When the Lion Feeds” is the first book in a series based in South African and is a good starting point.

Good Luck

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Good books???

A couple of good non-fiction books:

"I Dreamed Of Africa" - Kuki Gallmann

"Rules Of The Wild" - Francesca Marciano

The second book is supposed to be a work of fiction but, if you know the characters involved, clearly isn't... it got a few backs up around here when it was published!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Good books???

Forgot to add:

"The Shackled Continent" by Robert Guest. Fascinating insight into sub-Saharan Africa's financial and political machinations, and why it seems to be going nowhere.

"Dark Star Safari" by Paul Theroux. Brilliant writing; wry and truthful observations.

wales
Level Contributor
720 posts
17 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Good books???

Oh wow, I am so impressed, thats a fantastic list, thanks so much all of you, I am going to start reading them tomorrow and read nothing but African themed books until after my holiday...........This is going to really get me in the mood.

Alison

x

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
7. Re: Good books???

Hi, look at africabookcentre.com they have oodles of books on Africa, 9 travel books on Kenya alone, novels, maps, music, languages, political, historic.

Ivan.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
17,067 posts
57 reviews
55 helpful votes
8. Re: Good books???

Swahili for the Brokenhearted - Peter Moore (Cape Town to Cairo by any means possible)

and a bit heavier

Half of a yellow Sun (a novel about Nigeria's civil war)- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Blood River (A journey to Africa's Broken Heart) - Tim Butcher Daily telegraph reporter's attempt to recreate H M Stanley's expedition along the length of the Congo river

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
9. Re: Good books???

HI, had a quick look on Africa Book Centre, many of the above books listed

Ivan

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10. Re: Good books???

Here's my list of books that I have read about Africa

Twenty Chickens For A Saddle- Robyn Scott (just finished this book it was really good memoir of growing up in the 1980's/90's in Botswana)

Don't Lets Go To The Dogs Tonight - Alexandra fuller (Memoir of 1970's war torn Rhodesia - great book)

Tick Bite Fever - David Bennun ( really funny, laugh out loud book about growing up in the 1970's in Kenya)

Mukiwa - Peter Godwin

When a Crocodile Eats The Sun - Peter Godwin ( both books are about Rhodesia from the 1960s to 1990s and the troubles there - the best books I have ever read about Africa)

Rainbows End - Another book about growing up during the 1970's in Rhodesia

Casting With A Fragile Thread - Great book but really sad : (

Blood Sisters - Barbara & Stephanie Keating (haven't started this yet but it's at the side of the bed so I might start it tonight)

The Animals are Innocent - John Ward (The story of Julie Ward who was murdered in 1988 in the Masia Mara just a few KMs from Keekorok Lodge)

The Murder of Julie Ward - A Death In Kenya - Michael A. Hiltzik (Another book about the Julie Ward murder)

All the Ladies detective agency series of books - really easy to read and fun.

all the above are from amazon

Happy reading

Dean