We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Sea Resort

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tamworth, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Diani Sea Resort

Hi

Me an my partner are going to Diani Sea Resort in Kenya in 4 weeks for a two week holiday and hopefully a short safari.

Could anyone that has been there give me any feedback or advice. Especially on which safaris are the best and where to book them?

I would really appreciate any advice and feedback!

Thanx.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Diani Sea Resort

My wife and me are staying at the Voyager Beach Resort which is north of Mombasa for five nights and two nights staying at Satao Camp in Tsavo East (we booked it as a special offer really through Kuoni). I really enjoyed the Tsavo safari I did a few years ago. It's totally different to the Mara which is just covered in animals in relatively short grass which makes viewing them easy. In Tsavo you really have to search hard for animals but I think it makes it all the more exciting and rewarding when you find them. Don't get me wrong, if I could have only one more day in Kenya I wouldn't hesitate to pick the Mara but Tsavo is a really great place as well. You'll enjoy both for different reason I think.

How did you get on with your anti-malaria tablets? I can't remember whether I've already mentioned it but as you're going to be in the Mara at the time of the Migration I would get hold of some Avon Skin So Soft to repell the mozzies. It kind of doubles up as an after sun but seriously this stuff is incredible - mozzies hate it - I don't know why 'cos it doesn't smell that bad but whenever I've used it I've NEVER been bitten once (and I'm not an Avon rep - promise!) and I used to get eaten alive by all sorts.

I know you can hear all sorts of stories about how to avoid getting bitten but I first read about this Avon stuff in 1998/99 after having a bit of a torrid time with mozzies previously. Now we don't even think about mozzies 'cos they just don't come near us. It's also worked for us in Sri Lanka, Australia, the Maldives and even on the shores of Loch Lomond at midgey time in Scotland.

Tamworth, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Yeh still trying to change them, I don't think they will exchange them now. Plus my doc assures me that they might only effect you if you have a history of mental disorders or depression. Which I haven't, but still doesn't re-assure me.

Think I will try it before I go as I have to take them 2 weeks before we go and hopefully I will know then if I will react to them and then I will just have to fork out the extra for the other type (Malarone).

I will try and get some of that avon cream. I usually get eaten alive everywhere I go. Except when I went to mexico. We had really well air conditioned rooms and I used jungle formula spray. But I don't think mozzies are as big as a problem as they are in Kenya.

I went to greece one year and I had over 50 bites they were all over I even had them on my ears and fingers - nightmare and ruined my holiday as I looked like the elephant man!

Hope you have a good holiday speak soon!

Tamworth, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Tried looking for that avon skin so soft and could only find one with musk in it. Could you send me a link if you can find it on the website or a pic of it so I know what it looks like?

Tamworth, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Think I have found something is it the woodland scented one. I can find the dry oil spray and body wash in a set:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll…

Won't buy it from ebay as you can't be aure its the right stuff in bottle but just wanted to check if this is the right product range.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Believe it or not the best way to get hold of some of this stuff (as it isn't sold in shops) is by calling the national Avon line and opening a direct customer account. Now don't worry there's no catch (believe me, as a 30 year old bloke I was more than worried about having an Avon account). They just give you an account number which allows you to order some. The telelphone number is 0845 601 4040 and the product has recently changed names to Avon Skin-so-Soft Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray. I've just today bought my latest load of the stuff. You can't imagine the embarrassment when a box turns up for me at work with avon plastered all over the place. But hey, it beats being mozzie fodder which is what I was until I found this stuff.

Sorry if I'm now going on abit but other precautions I'd take are as follows:

Don't wear perfumes or aftershaves etc... Some repell, some attract and unfortunately I don't know which do and which don't.

In the evenings try to wear closed toe shoes. Mozzies just love getting to your feet.

With this Avon stuff, apply it to your ankles, neck, elbows etc...these are places people forget (I did) and all of a sudden you start scratching.............

Having said all that though don't worry about mozzies, we've rarely seen them in Kenya but I reckon that's down to good old Avon calling.............

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Diani Sea Resort

That sound right.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Diani Sea Resort

That soundS right. Woodland Fresh was what it was previously called.

Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Hi Emca

I know it is late but having visited Kenya 4 times it is a fantastic place. I hope your stay at Diani Sea Resort was good I would like to know as I am thinking of going there in December.

Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Diani Sea Resort

Defenitely choose Malarone as anti-Malaria cure. I used it while in Papua last may and had no side affections. Even not when drinking beers on it. You just take a tablet a day.

Will be going to Kenya for 3-weeks next august and include the Seychelles Royal cruise.

enjoy your trip,

Eddy

www.globetrotters.be

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa