We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do people make of this.....?

Darlington, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What do people make of this.....?

Having already booked up for a safari holiday I then received a quote from a company called Habib's Tours in nairobi which to me seemed an astonishing figure and far cheaper than anything I have come across during searches.

They are offering one night at the Nairobi Serena, two nights at the Amboseli Serena and three nights at the Mara Serena, including flight transfers between AND and a balloon trip for 2,130 US Dollars per person (£1,082 in Sterling). The figure they quoted is a lot cheaper than I have paid and very much cheaper than I have been quoted by anyone else. They say the figure includes all taxes, game park fees, all meals etc. To me it almost seems too good to be true, especially at such a fairly popular time.

What are people's feelings about the figure. Is it just a great bargain or am I missing something? Is it too good to be true?

Serian Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Freeman Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Photography Tours
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do people make of this.....?

i cant really advise you as i dont know this company or prices for this trip.

however the advice i will give you is "if it seems to good to be true then it probably is" be careful and dont part with your money unless you really know what your doing, do your homework.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do people make of this.....?

hi, you could look at this both ways.... the safari tourist buisiness has jumped up considerably in the past two years.. since the appalling tragedy at Kikambala and Nairobi embassy ,many tourist sstayed away ... but because the buisiness is starting to boom again, many companies who used to operate before ,are starting up again ....or new companies have sprung up.

If you have to pay all the money up front avoid this like the plague

sometimes in this life we do get a bargain.

good luck

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do people make of this.....?

The flights would cost $376 p.p. (look at airkenya.com). Amboseli Serena's own web site would charge you $290 p.p. in high season. Mara Serena would be $435. That's $1101. Nairobi Serena B&B would be $220 p.p. That's $1321. Park fees for 5 days would be another $200 p.p. = $1521. Missing are the costs of game drives. An email to the Serenas would tell what those would be (and they are not cheap!). Add in the taxi fare to and from Wilson airport, and you see what this would have cost for someone to do it all himself. And you have an insight into what a reasonable price would be with no operator involvement.

4. Re: What do people make of this.....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, August 17, 2009