We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help we need guidance!

help we need guidance!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:12 am, October 15, 2014
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help we need guidance!

Hi Debbie,

the list below gives some reviwes and photos of lodges and tented camps in Kenya. If you also take a look at the insider pages they are full of information about planning a safari, what to pack, visa requirements and so on.

That should give you somewhere to start and I am sure you will get plenty of other helpful information from the many regular users of this site.

Bruce

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1700-Kenyan_lo…

2. Re: help we need guidance!

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help we need guidance!

I've just retired from operating safaris in Kenya since 1988.. and I wish you would rethink your itinerary. If Mombasa is your real interest, don't add the expense of flying to the Masai Mara and back.. You can enjoy a safari for the 3 days in Tsavo & Amboseli.. driving out from Mombasa, making a loop into the parks and returning to Mombasa. But, my real advice would be to skip Mombasa and get an agent there in Manchester to set up a week or more in several of the Kenya game reserves. It is the most remarkable travel experience you can imagine, it's a good value for what it costs, and there is nothing to be scared of! PS - all of the lodges and camps have swimming pools!

4. Re: help we need guidance!

Essex
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: help we need guidance!

Hello Debbie

Like yourself we had trouble deciding on what to do. It's my partners dream to do a safari, but the thought of camping out just did not appeal to me. We have booked our holiday through Kuoni and have opted for the cheetah safari and will be flying from Heathrow. It's a 7 night safari starting off in Nairobi City then going round to Samburu, Lake Naivaisha, Treetops (where the queen became the queen..?!) and then Masai Mara. Our accomodation is in lodges throughout and all seem to be of good standard and they all have pools. We are then going off to a beach extension in Mombassa to end our holiday. But there are many different types to choose from and different lengths of stay.

There are so many nature parks to chose from so you really need to consider what you would both ideally like to see and get the most of whilst you are there - after all, how many times are you thinking of going back?

If like us, this may be the only chance of going, make sure you get round to see as much as possible.

Regards

Lisa

6. Re: help we need guidance!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help we need guidance!

Debbie, you are driven.......over the most appalling road conditions you can possibly imagine - but all part of the whole experience. Unless you pick a 'flying' safari (which cost more).

We did the Kuoni Cheetah Safari first class last Aug/Sep, starting in Nairobi for 1 night then staying in Serena lodges at Samburu (2), Mt Kenya (1), Lake Nakuru (1) and Masai Mara (3). A good variation of 'sights' and an absolutely outstanding experience, far exceeded my expectations and we loved it. I still have to pinch myself - FABULOUS.

Had 7 nights at Diani beach afterwards and total cost including all transfers was about £1500 each but I think Kuoni's prices have gone up this year by about £300.

8. Re: help we need guidance!

9. Re: help we need guidance!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help we need guidance!

Only got 1 night in Nairobi, retrospectively we would have liked a couple of nights perhaps - depends how much time you have.

Not much to choose between the 2 'Cheetah' safari's Kuoni offer we just wanted to go to Mt Kenya more than Treetops and thought the Serena lodges might be slightly better (I'm not saying they were before anyone bites my head off!).

It IS an awful lot of driving, totals some 900mls, the Kuoni brochure indicates exactly how much between each park but it's not so much of a hardship broken down. We were slightly apprehensive about the long trips before we went but would do it again without hesitation. If you need to trek about faster then flying is the best option but you will pay for it.

You'll see all the animals Kenya has to offer that your driver can find, they communicate with each other via radio (the drivers I mean), so if someone has found something of interest he'll tell the others so you can nip over and take a look. Only missed the leopard and black rhino (which our driver pretended he could see) but I can live with that. So much fun watching lionesses stalking and the male snoozing, elephants playing in a mud puddle, cheetah chasing prey, giraffe nibbling trees, white rhino, wildebeast migrating.........the list is endless.

Diani Beach was lovely but I think I'd pick somewhere a bit nearer to Mombasa next time as we're not really into sprawling about by the beach, have to be 'doing'. The 2 other couples who were in our safari van went to Breezes in Zanzibar and dare I say it - they were bored! We had loads to do but some of it did involve something of a trek back to Mombasa on the ferry.

There are so many options open to you, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time whatever you pick. Have fun.

Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...