We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nagpur, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

We are planning to visit masaimara in November 2nd week. is a 4x4 vehicle costing more than minivan absolutely necessary, or will minivan compromise the quality of safari markedly. Kindly advise as the cost difference is substantial.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

Yes, I was in the Naibosho reserve last December, and even with the 4x4, we got stuck several times in the mud. If you're in Masi Mara proper, you'll likely be on more well worn paths, but I have also gotten stuck many times there as well. A strong downpour will change a decent dirt road into a treacherous mud pit in a matter of minutes, get the 4x4!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

Everything as it's class, i would say 4x4 is comfortable on a safari but we used mini safari van for our tour for Maasai mara it was a wet season and we didn't experience any stuck by mud though the car slides a little bit I actually asked our guide about the slides and he said to us that even mini van safari there are some which are four wheel drive and it happen the we were using was one.

Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

a four wheel drive van will save your cost ..in November there isn't much rain unless there is weather change .. even 4*4 jeep get stuck although there are places that the jeep can pass and the vans have to look for a better route .. any four wheel drive will do

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

I'd take the 4WD minivan any day over the Landcruiser style. To me, they are more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. A lot has to do with the driving skills of your guide. I've seen several Landcruisers stuck in mud, yet had no problem in a 4WD minivan accompanied by a good driver/guide, even in the rainy season.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

The second week of November is normally wet unless weather changes and Masai Mara doesn't have some of the best roads. A 4*4 land cruiser may cost you more than a 4*4 mini van. A 4*4 mini van will be good and will not compromise the quality of your safari. The mini-van goes for around $120 per day inclusive of a seasoned guide though the cost may go down depending on the number of days

Robert - Beacon Safaris

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

I've gotten stuck in both types of vehicles, whether dry or wet seasons.

Last visit when we encountered the most wet (Oct/Nov), though in a 4x4, only once did the guide set the vehicle to 4x4.

7. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:10 am, August 19, 2014
Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
43 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

Getting stuck is part of the joy.

If everything goes smooth, there's nothing to tell....

SO either way is good, there are always plenty people around (even if you THINK you are in the middle of nowhere) to helpp you out.

So do as feels best : a VAN can have an open roof, so you can stand straight up and take fb pictures.

A 4x4 doesn't have that....

Entry fee of the parks differ too on the type of vehicle.

Edited: 3:14 am, August 20, 2014
Nairobi
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

Climate has changed much. Like the month of August is normally warm but right now we are experiencing chilly weather. This also applies to the month you will be visiting Kenya, its very hard to predict what kind of weather will be at that time.

Its good to use a 4x4 vehicle for your safari to avoid getting completely stuck. This does mean it has to be a Land cruiser but a 4x4 safari van can also serve the purpose and save you much cost.

Welcome to Kenya for a real safari experience.

Raphael Muturi

East African Exotic Safaris

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,604 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vehicle type to be used in November for safari;

A land cruiser and an experienced guide cum driver makes a whole lot of difference.