We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Can anyone help me please? I was originally hoping to go to Mara Intrepids next September (2007!) and it is fully booked in September. My tour operator has now offered me the following choices at the same price (or slightly cheaper):

Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs

I am in a complete dilemma as I really wanted to go to Mara Intrepids, plus I know two of the above are lodges rather than tented camps. I also understand that Siana Springs is outside the game park?

Can anyone help me with the plus and minus's of the above choices? The tour operator said that mara Serena is a bit more 'mass market'. Does that mean the game drives won't be as good as we'll be in amongst lots of mini buses etc?

Any help much appreciated.

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Thanks for your advice.

I think the decision is probably going to come down to the area rather than the lodge / camp so it's between Lake Nakuru or the Amboseli area near Mt Kilimanjaro. Both seem quite different so I'd be grateful for your opinion based upon the rest of our itinerary (Samburu and Masai Mara).

What would give us the best diversity?

Leicester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Lake Nakuru is a beauitful and scenic Great Rift Valley lake, once famous for the thousands of flamingos colourng the lake pink. Unfortunately due to many other factors, pollution being one of them, the lake is receeding and the flamingos are dying or have moved to other lakes. The park however is the best place to see the endangered black and white rhino and a huge no of bird species. There have also been more leopard sightings here than in any other parks. Amboseli is mainly famous for the view of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the largest herds of elephants. But elephants you will also in the Mara and Samburu....

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Sounds like you would recommend Lake Nakuru in preference then - despite the environmental issues - I'd like to think that tourism in the area helps somehow rather than contributes to the problems.

Leicester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Yes I do think that you will enjoy visiting Lake Nakuru more than Amboseli...torurism in this area will help support research on the lake and how best ot save it.

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

Great - many thanks for all your advice.

Leicester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

You're welcome and have a great trip!

17. Re: Keekorok, Mara Serena or Siana Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 19, 2009