We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bataleur camp,masai mara

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
bataleur camp,masai mara

I am considering this camp over Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and was wondering which one would be better? Is the drive in from Bataleur a pain?

Kenya
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

Hi Skier,

Batleur Camp is in Maasai Mara in Kenya and Ngorongoro is in Tanzania. It all depends on which country you are visiting and when. If you are visiting both then its fine to stay at both lodges. What other places are you visiting? I would recommended that you fly to Batleur as the roads leading to the camp are quite rough. If you take a game package it would include flights, accommodation, meals and game drives in their 4x4 open vehilces.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

Are you trying to chose between the Masai Mara and Ngorongoro crater? If traveling in October, you may still be able to catch part of the migration in the Mara.

Logistically, the Mara would also be easier to combine with the rest of your itinerary if you're planning to include Lewa/Laikipia and gorilla trekking.

Flights are available between Lewa/Laikipia areas and the Masai Mara (it's too far to drive in one day) and flight connections to Entebbe or Kigali are easier from Nairobi than Kilimanjaro airport.

Bateleur is located just outside of the reserve on the northwestern side. Nearby is Olonana which is also a very high end camp. Or if you want to be inside the reserve, Il Moran or Mara Explorer are luxury choices as well.

How many days total do you have available? And do you plan to do anything else in Uganda or Rwanda besides gorilla trekking?

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

My error, sorry. I am deciding between Bateleur and Little Governors Camp. I heard there is more water around governors which could mean more animals around. The drive from Bateleur into the reserve is about 15mins thru the gate and didn't know if governors is better because you are already inside the reserve. I guess I was checking on the positives & neg of both, or if there is somewhere even better to stay. I am also considering Lewa, where there is a rhino reserve. Then on to Rwanda for just gorilla trekking. (seems much easier to get to vs. Uganda if I am only going for the gorillas).

Then on to Tanzania, staying at possibly Grumeti Reserve and Ngorongora Crater Lodge.

Additionally considering Alfajiri or Mnemba (Zanizibar)

So I am just starting my research; any additional ideas and/or comments is much appreciated.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

In that case, here are just a few considerations.

There's always the possibility of game wandering through camp if the camp is unfenced (I don't know if Bateleur is or not).

Here's a thread about the different views from the tents at Governors camps - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294209-i9217-k569…

I don't know what the view is like from Bateleur. Olonana's tents face the Mara River and Explorer sits along the Talek River. I personally like camps with some kind of water feature/view from the tents.

If you stay outside of the reserve, you can do night game drives.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

We stayed at Bataleur, September 2006. The views are 'ok' overlooking plains below the camp. There was quite a lot of activity, which was to be expected, as it was the peak of the migration period. However we found Bataleur to be badly managed, and would not recommend it. You have a lot of choice; choose wisely!!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

Thanks for your feedback, MichaelG. Could you elaborate on why you felt the camp was badly managed? I think that would be very helpful to future travelers. Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

Hot water failed on all of the three days we were there. Safari guide booked on day 1for 7am start, so that we got good viewing positions, before the 'mob' arrived. He turned up at 7.45, so we had no choice but to follow the 'mob'. At the end of a great 2 hour walk we were supposed to rendezvous with our vehicle. Our ranger guides could not get the driver to respond to the two way radio so they continually tried to get the camp. No response from there either. As it was now raining quite hard and getting dark, we all agreed the best option would be to head for the main highway and walk back. Ok these things happen, and we were not staying at a city center hotel,but it is not unreasonable to expect a manager to appear at some time and apologise/explain what went wrong. The best we got from the excelent staff was 'he has not arrived yet' or 'he has already left for the day'. Maybe we were the only people ever to have such problems at this camp. Maybe it is normally the best camp in Africa. Each person can only report on their personal experiences.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

MichaelG,

Thanks for the additional details. A guide showing up 45 minutes late and not meeting you at the designated rendevous point certainly does sound bad. I wouldn't have expected these type of glitches at a camp such as Bateleur, and you should've received an apology. Were you assigned the same guide during your stay? Sorry to hear of your poor experience.

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

Anyone travel to Bataleur since MichaelG was there? What would be the next best choice? Il Moran?

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bataleur camp,masai mara

also, would a balloon trip be easier to do from Il Moran vs. Bataleur?

Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...