We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suitable clothing

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
suitable clothing

Hi

Can anyone advise me what sort of clothing to wear when on safari during the day. Going next Saturday. Is it ok to wear shorts and vests or cover up with long light trousers and t-shirts !

Many thanks

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
430 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suitable clothing

Yes that's fine, you don't need to take much as most lodges/camps have a laundry service. I like to change in the evening but that only means a clean pair of shorts or thin trousers and a nice blouse/shirt, it just makes me feel smarter!

Travel light and don't worry about fashion and remember a warm jumper for the mornings and at sundown. Have a great safari

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suitable clothing

also have a look at 'FAQ - What should I pack for going on Safari?' on the right of this page (if you are on a smartphone you have to request the full web version of the site to see the FAQs)

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suitable clothing

Silly question... But what is a jumper? In the states it's a sleeveless dress you wear over a blouse... I'm sure it has a different meaning in the UK!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suitable clothing

A jumper is knitted top also known as a sweater, pullover or jersey

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
430 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suitable clothing

Well done DC! another word I have learnt like Pavement/Sidewalk !!!!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suitable clothing

Rather than two different words for the same thing it sounds like it's one word thàt means two entirely different things - like 'suspenders' for instance

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
430 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suitable clothing

Naughty!!!! Just like a man to mention suspenders

Stewartsville, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suitable clothing

We just came back on Thursday. It proved not to be as warm we thought. I was fine in long pants and a long sleeve shirt that I rolled up during the day. It does get cold in mornings and evening so a jacket or sweater is a must.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: suitable clothing

August and September are 'winter' months in East Africa. While daytime temps are often comfy in the 70s, the early mornings, late afternoons and nights that can be downright cold. Have seen some wearing light-weight ski parkers.

I personally wear long pants year-round with t-shirts, some short or long sleeve and always have a sweater (jumper), jacket or fleece as coverup. When the sun starts to set which is rather early when on the Equator, the temps change rather quickly. While I always have 1/pr long walking shorts in my duffle, can't recall when I last wore these.

10. Re: suitable clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...