We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Planning

Hello:

We are a family of four and plan to visit Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Masai Mara.( and/or any other place which should be seen!) Our dates have been finalized. We reach Nairobi on the 28th July and depart from Nairobi on the 6th August, 2013. What would be the ideal itinerary to visit Tanzania and Kenya wildlife? Our budget would be about US$2500 per person, not counting airfare. We are vegetarians and would appreciate hotels/lodges where vegetarian/indian food is available. Photography is a must do. While I am not a professional photographer, I like to think of myself as a committed amateur. ( I haul about 15 kgs of equipment!) We enjoy varied company and look upon such trips as a means to bond together as a family and also meet other like minded people.

Would appreciate some advice on planning for this trip. Thank you.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning

Hi Murli,

Not sure whether this is your first safari. If so, I have detailed a few points that may be of interest. I learnt a lot from the Kenya TA forum. So I hope my experience will help you and others.

I have touched on several points including: Yellow Fever, General medication, Food, Indian food, What we packed, What we did not use and so on. We covered four Parks (one of which, Lake Naivasha, was an on-the-way visit). We stayed at Ol Pejeta conservancy, Nakuru and of course the Mara.

We saw Veg food everywhere, include 'Indian' options. No worry about that. Many Kenyan Veg options were available, as well, and fruits and salads.

As for photography, every moment represents a photo opportunity, I guess. We carried an entry level DSLR with two lenses and a 'bridge' point and shoot. Between the two cameras, and our very basic skills, we could cover landscapes and long range shots, though the landscapes ended up looking better, in general. We also carried a tripod that came in handy by the watering hole at night in Ol Pejeta. We did a 'private safari', so we were two people in the van, and we truly loved the quietness of the 'off-season'.

Since you have eight full days, plus arrival and departure days out of Nairobi, covering two countries may involve a lot of travel over a relatively short period. Flights may be an option to save time. July-Aug is likely to be the time for the famed 'Migration', so you can perhaps focus on the Mara for the Kenya part. I hear that accommodation tends to get snapped up well in advance during July-Aug.

I am by no means an expert, so I will stop here, and let the experts take over.

The starting point of our trip, the planing part, is here, followed by the other parks listed at the bottom of the page:

…blogspot.in/2013/04/kenya-here-we-come.html

Hope this helps. Planning our next Safari already!

Best wishes,

Jyoti

Edited: 11:14 am, May 18, 2013
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning

Thank You, Jyoti; for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. saw your blog too and enjoyed your writing. Is yellow fever vaccination compulsory? is the budget enough?

thanks

murli

3. Re: Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
4. Re: Planning

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning

YF vaccination is compulsory if you are going to enter into India after your Kenya holiday. The certificate is checked by check-in and immigration staff at Nairobi departure and also at India arrival.

Do read about the experience of a family in Chennai who were unable to find vaccines in any city in India, and finally decided on getting the vaccine on arrival in Nairobi.

There may be some fine print about a ten-day waiting period for the vaccine to take effect. Would this imply that you may need to leave Nairobi ten days after the date of administering the vaccine in Nairobi? I do not know. I am not an expert, I am only bringing up a possible situation. Experts on this forum would know better. Or, some relevant documentation may exist (WHO or country specific?).

The recent YF thread is here.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k6421…

Having got the highly precious YF vaccination, stands to reason that we use it again soon!

- Jyoti

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning

Thank you. that was helpful. Wish I could extend my stay. how many days would be required to do both?

murli

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning

Thanks again, Jyoti. Shall make sure we are all vaccinated.

murli

8. Re: Planning

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning

Do keep in mind:

- Inter-park travel time in each country (min half day, may be longer)

- KE to TZ travel (half to one day)

- TZ to KE travel (half to one day) for your return flight out of NBO.

- Jyoti

Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning

Murli!

You can do both Kenya and Tanzania and its practical and workable with that budget. You just need 3days in the Maasai Mara and cross the border to Serengeti vi Isebania, then have 4days in Serengeti and 1 full day Ngorongoro crater. Then leave Tanzania with a shuttle bus to have 1 night in Nairobi which will give you a good and ample time for your international flight the next day.

Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...