We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maasari Mara Game Drive

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Maasari Mara Game Drive

Is it better to have a 2hr morning and 2hr afternoon game drive or an all day game drive?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maasari Mara Game Drive

Some of the camps have an early morning drive, a return to camp for breakfast, and a return to game viewing after that; in the pm there's also a drive. I prefer to have the camp provide a breakfast to take along and stay out all morning (with a short break to have something like a boiled egg, juice, muffin and tea/coffee/hot chocolate in the field), so something like 6-6:30 am till noon or 12:30, return for lunch, rest a couple hrs then do the pm drive starting around 3:30-ish.

Edited: 8:17 pm, May 15, 2013
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maasari Mara Game Drive

A lot of the animals take a break and hide from the heat of the mid day and become less active. So, like Steve, I like to be out there first thing in the morning, when it is cooler and the animals are waking up. The lighting is usually great for photos. You can usually have tea/hot chocolate with some cookies before heading out. I've usually had a small box breakfast to go, then depending on the wildlife activity, either stay out until about 11am and return to the lodge/camp at that time for some down time, nap, light lunch. Or, if the animals are pretty quiet, will stay out until 9:30am and return to the lodge and have a full breakfast. I prefer the down time in the middle of the day to make journaling notes, transfer photos, nap, take a dip in the pool during the heat of the day and relax. Then, I go out around 3:30pm to catch the end of the day lighting, come back as the sun is going down, get cleaned up and have a leisurely dinner. The few all day game drives I've done, were quite tiring. The long day is ok when traveling between locations, but prefer early morning and late afternoon game drives.

Laurena

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maasari Mara Game Drive

I agree with Laurena

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maasari Mara Game Drive

Also depends on where you are staying and what time of the year you are going. If the migration is on, for example, and your camp is in one of the conservancies, and you want to see the migration, then the drive may be long, so a full day drive would be better.

5. Re: Maasari Mara Game Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 18, 2014