We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay

Hello All

I am going to Kenya for 3 weeks for a work trip and then my husband is bringing the kids out for a short holiday. We were going to go to Kilifi but I just found out I am pregnant so I want to avoid the coast. We are looking at about 5 nights so I thought we could make a short safari instead.

Could anyone suggest a lodge that is reasonable and child-friendly in the Mara. We would like to stay in safari-style tents. Comfortable and clean but not luxury. We usually do Sanparks when we are in South Africa so something along those kinds of lines. We will have our own vehicle.

thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay

2 very good lodges in Mara that are excellent value for money are Mara Sopa & Keekorok, but neither of them are Safari-style tents, but lodge type rooms.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay

I would really recommend Mara Intrepids. They have a kids club and really cater for youngsters. Their tents are great and their guides are superb. I've been there twice now with youngsters and they love it.The location is just about perfect and the wildlife there is spectacular.

3. Re: Where should we stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay

Why is pregnancy keeping you off the coast?

The need for malaria meds?

If so, you will need these when on safari also.

Level Contributor
12 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay

We just returned from Kenya. We stayed two nights at Serena Masai Mara Lodge. It was wonderful, and there were children there. You are surrounded by wildlife, and on the drives we saw all of the big 5 plus so many more animals.

From our balcony, we could see elephant, buffalo, giraffe, impala, several types of antelope, including a male and female bushbuck that did a mating ritual right below our balcony. Amazing. The people were nice, food good, and efficient mosquito nets at night.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay

I agree with Stefani and Margo: for your family, Mara Serena or Keekorok would be great, although they are lodges, not tented. There are wildlife right IN the grounds at either. I loved both places , esp'lly Mara Serena and the food there was better. Kids would love playing and working off energy on the beautiful grounds at Keekorok

HOwever, unless I missed it, i see neither the number not the ages of the children.The # could affect how many rooms you'll need.

And both cost less than Mara Intrepids--which, when i bring my grandkids, i want to use. Thanks Val and Jones for the praise of MI.

Also,

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay

I like Mara Serena very much - its one of my favourite lodges in Kenya but the combination of children and tents would lead me towards Intrepids as more suitable for the OP. I think the wildlife viewing is better at Intrepids but the food much better at Serena. They are both good choices for families though.

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay

Thanks everyone - have investigated both Serena and Keekorok but it looks like they are booked out for August. I might need to look at a tour company with camping.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay

Ah August - peak season, peak prices and it does get full quickly!

Have you thought about somewhere else maybe Ol Pejeta staying at Sweetwaters?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we stay

There are many tented camps in the Mara and not all are booked. However, August does book up early.

Best you contact a tour operator and ask for suggestions (other than those mentioned), noting you will be with children (and their ages), whether two tents near one another are good enough, or 'family' tents that can accommodate all of you. And, your estimated budget for x# of days.