We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

We are planning a visit to Masai Mara in the month of May. I am really apprehensive about the season there. I am wondering whether we will be able to spot animals at this time as it is a rainy season there? What are the places in Kenya to be covered during a 10 days trip?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

Any time of the year is good. The grass may be a bit higher, but usually seeing game is fine. We have been most months of the year, and never left disappointed.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

I agree with Roadwarrior about the Mara.

What you can cover will depend if you are flying or driving from place to place. In10 days flying you could do Sweetwaters or Amboseli 2 nights, Samburu 2 nights Nakuru 2 nights and Mara 4 nights.

Maybe best to combine flying and driving. Talk to a tour company.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

Greetings, experts!

Thanks very much for the valuable information on the Kenya forum (this is my first post).

My 15 y/o son and I are planning a safari vacation during April-May (because of school holidays in India). It's going to be "boys day out"!

We are planning two to three nights in the Mara. While most questions are oriented towards the migration season, my question is, any quick recommendations for lodges to stay in during April-May?

Based on a few weeks of reading and the very little I know, would Keekorok and/or Sarova Mara and/or Mara Serena or other lodges be good choices? Is there any difference staying inside or outside the Triangle during April-May? Our budget is mid-range, and we are ok with comfortable tents, as well, if it is safe.

This is going to be our first African safari, in fact, our first African vacation, so we are extremely excited.

For the perspective, we are planning a couple of nights at Ol Pejeta Conservancy and one night at Lake Nakuru. Does this look right?

May I thank the forum members once again. We have been able to learn from the wonderfully helpful (and patient) responses.

Regards,

Jyoti

Edited: 1:31 am, February 11, 2013
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

April/May is still a good time to visit the Mara, I would go for Serena near the river and a good mid range lodge. Ol Pejeta and Nakuru make sense to include within your tour and there are plenty of operators who will arrange this for you but make sure you save the Mara for the end of your Safari.

5. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, February 11, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

cheetahkenya -

I smell fish as a tout for business.

7. Re: Is the month of May appropriate for game viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 13, 2014