We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on itinerary

Dubai
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on itinerary

Hello all,

Myself & wife are planning an advanture holiday to Kenya, and our travel agent has suggested the following plan:

Day 1 - Nairobi (arrive by flight, relax, rest overnight)

Day 2 - Drive to Masai Mara (game drive in MM Game Reserve)

Day 3 - Game drives in morning & evening @ Masai Mara

Day 4 - Drive to Lake Nakuru after breakfast (view flamingoes & Rhinos)

Day 5 - Drive to Aberdare region (arrive, rest all day, followed by an night game viewing experience)

Day 6 - Drive to Mount Kenya (relax + visit animal orphanage)

Day 7 - Relax (leisure activities like swimming, golf, tennis, etc)

Day 8 - Drive from Mouth Kenya to Nairobi & board flight

In this entire trip, can you tell me how much travel time are we looking at? By road, and if possible by flight? Why would you recommend air or land travel?

Am I spending too little (or too much) time at any particular destination?

Is there much to do in Nairobi? Shall I extend my time there?

If you have stayed in any of the above places, any recommended hotels/camps?

edit: We're planning the trip in Jan 2013

Edited: 2:59 am, December 20, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on itinerary

Hi - here's my suggestion to minimise driving time.

First of all, driving is fun (though hectic), since you're seeing the lovely landscape en-route. My suggestion in this order:

1. Mt Kenya (2 Nights) - visit Lewa & Sweetwaters for Rhino Sanctuary & Chimpanzee Sanctuary respectively.

2. Aberdare (1N)

3. Nakuru (1N) - not many flamingoes but other wildlife & ideal for O/N stay

4. Mara (3N) - 2 full days to make it worthwhile

In btwn Nakuru & mara is Sunbird Lodge at Lake Elementeita. Stop for hour or 2 to catch scenic views of lake & Rift Valley. Hotel is 200 mts off the main rd.

Nairobi has some nice sighteeing places like Sheldrick Orphanage, Giraffe Park, Curio Markets & Carnivore restaurant.

Have a nice vacation.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on itinerary

Of if choosing to fly, consider:

Day 1 - the Emirates flight arrives NBO/JKIA about 3pm, and with little time zone change, take balance of day to relax and - o/n

Day 2 - NBO, sightseeing: Karen Blixen, Giraffe Center, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage; lunch; transfer to Wilson (domestic) airport for 2pm flight (45/min) to Amboseli (elephant park, other game also and views of Kilimanjaro) - o/n

Day 3 - Amboseli; game drives - o/n

Day 4 - Fly 9am to Wilson; connnect to flight (50/min) to Lake Nakuru; afternoon game drive - o/n

Day 5 - Fly (1/hr) mid-morning to Masai Mara; game drive to lodging; afternoon game drive - o/n

Days 6 & 7 - Masai Mara; game drives daily - o/n

Day 8 - Fly (50/min) to Wilson; lunch; transfer to NBO/JKIA airport for 5pm flight to DXB.

Flight times are estimates.

Edited: 11:00 am, December 20, 2012
3. Re: Suggestions on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2013