We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siana springs tented camp or entumoto camp?

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
siana springs tented camp or entumoto camp?

travelling as a family of 8 with 3 kids and 1 grandmother inJuly. both of these look great and am having trouble choosing.the siana tents look very nice and i like that a tribe comes and we will get to see them dance and visit. the other seems to have this too.As far as i can tell it seems they both have very good game watching and scenery, can anyone provide any inside details on either to help me choose? i heard one may have a very very bumpy road? Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: siana springs tented camp or entumoto camp?

Zoe, I've responded to your other message, which answers some of this. I wasn't quite sure what to make of Entumoto as it's extremely high-end, but seems to lack the touch of expertise and experience that you need. It's a Swedish-Maasai collaboration, and much as it's all very beautiful, it doesn't have any atmosphere. Nice pool, which is rare, and very good food.

As for Siana Springs, this is quite an old camp, with a really good feel, in an unusually wooded densely wooded area, with some wildlife in camp (colobus monkeys, surprisingly, and hyrax and bushbuck). BUT, it was part of the Heritage group (Voyager, Intrepids, Explorer), and they've now parted ways. I don't know why. The other thing to consider is that Siana Springs Group Ranch is not a proper conservancy, so there's a good deal of grazing going on all around, and you'll see Maasai on their motorbikes bombing about, that kind of thing. We saw a large herd of elephants in Siana (from another camp, Leleshwa, in April this year) and plenty of buffalo and giraffe and other plains game. Nice jackal pair (they'd just killed a Thommie fawn…). But no big cats.

Anyay, I'd just be a *little* cautious about charging ahead and booking SS. But it might be great - as I say, it had a good feel when I visited in 2009. I think if I was considering it now, I'd want a full report from someone I trusted on a recent overnight stay.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: siana springs tented camp or entumoto camp?

Pair of jackals having taken down a tommie... darn those jackals who always work together as I can't tell how often I've come upon this scene and hear that poor tommie yapping... not yet dead! Sorry to be so descriptive, but that's the wilderness.

3. Re: siana springs tented camp or entumoto camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...