We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile networks will work in masai mara?

1 post
Save Topic
mobile networks will work in masai mara?

I along with my family are going to masai nara in october this year but I cant live without my cell phone which I will be carrying on international roaming, my network provider is vodafone India and I will also have an local airtel sim so is there uninteruppted network coverage available in masai mara?

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile networks will work in masai mara?

You may or may not find a signal in the Mara it depends where you are, hopefully it will not be switched on during your game drives and will only be used should you need to call home from your accommodation. Mobiles are a curse and a distraction to other safari goers.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile networks will work in masai mara?

I have to agree, it would be a real pity to travel all that way to spend the day on your phone - much better to look at the animals, I would have thought. I had my mobile phone with me (a UK phone) and I didn't get any reception (not that I really wanted it) in either our camp or out in the Mara. The local guides/camp owners etc did have phones, they weren't able to use them in the park either - that's why they relied on radios etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile networks will work in masai mara?

For better or worse, you'll find mobile coverage fairly widespread – but patchy – across the Mara region, especially near Mara Rianta, Talek, Sekanani and Ololaimutiek. I've often had amazingly good reception - there are a number towers in the region.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile networks will work in masai mara?

Airtel coverage is not uninterrupted in the Masai Mara so the most sensible thing to do would be to pick up a local Safaricom SIM as well. If you arrived at your camp/lodge only to find out there was no coverage from the one and only provider whose SIM you have brought with you it would be pretty frustrating - and this does happen. Cover all bases, if it's essential that you have mobile coverage for the duration of your stay.

Edited: 2:11 am, August 17, 2012
5. Re: mobile networks will work in masai mara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2013