We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Is it cold when sleeping inside the tent at night? What should I wear? Would T-shirt and shorts enough?

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Hi,

usually you will find a hot-watter-bottle in your bed if you are in a tented camp.

Also blankets will be offered if you need more.

T-shirts and shorts should be okay for you. For us they have been always okay.

Bye

Chrissy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Agree with Chrissy, most months of the year a t-shirt is sufficient... at least for me. However, if visiting during Aug/Sep which are the coldest months, you might prefer PJs or sweats (or the like) for your legs. Up to you.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

I'm going in late August. Wonder if it would be warm with the mosquito net?

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Also depends where are you are going... We went last september ...Aberderes was cold.. We stayed one night at the Ark.. No heat.. Was FREEZING.. It was even on the cool side st the equator... But Samburu was hot.

Layers are your best bet

Edited: 1:35 pm, July 29, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

"Wonder if it would be warm with the mosquito net?"

If you mean, does a mosquito net afford warmth then the answer is "no". I'm assuming, since you posted this on the Masai Mara forum, that that is where you're staying. In which case, since most parts of the Mara are at altitude (between 5300 and 6600ft ASL), a loose cotton t-shirt and pj bottoms or sleeping shorts will definitely be a good idea, plus a fleece for when you get up in the morning or are moving about in the tent late at night.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

It does depend a lot on the area. If in the Mt. Kenya area, such as the Serena Mountain Lodge, it can be chilly at night. A sweatshirt or very light fleece would be good. In Samburu, the tent temperature at night got 'down' to 80 degrees. Although the Sweetwaters area was warm during the day, at night, it got cool. But as Chrissy mentioned, a lot of the places put hot water bottles in the beds when they turn them down. I remember staying at Serena Intrepids and was happy the outside temp at night was about 70 degrees. Then found a waterbottle in my bed. Took that out in a hurry.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

I'll be in Amboseli, Mara and Nakuru

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

In bed you should be warm in shorts and a t shirt. It is the run to the loo during the night, or when you wake up in the morning, you feel the chill.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

I just returned last week and we were very cold at night--even with the hot water bottles. More than once we got up in the middle of the night to put on more clothes and socks. Small inconvenience for an otherwise amazing trip!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it cold when sleeping at night?

Thanks for your reminder. Will bring long pants for sleeping