We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August to witness the migration?

Brighton
Level Contributor
174 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
July or August to witness the migration?

I have always wanted to do a safari that takes in the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Masai Mara in Kenya, and next year in the summer I am getting married and thinking about doing just this.

I can either go at the end of July/beginning of August or from mid to end of August. Will I still see anything happening if I go later in August? And is it still worth going to Tanzania too if I have missed the migration?

Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

The migration is in the Masai Mara from mid-July thru Sept, often to mid-Oct. Some of the herds remain behind in the very Northern Serengeti. But know there is no direct connection between the two.

If choosing to go by road it can take almost a full day; if by air then you shave off a few hours. Know also there are few camps in the Northern Serengeti and most all are very expensive.

Also if visiting both countries you'll require another Visa and Yellow Fever inoculation for transit to/from/between the two countries.

Stick with Kenya.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

Also, the Serengeti and the Masai Mara are part of the same ecosystem, so not much point in doing both. If you want to go to TZ, better to do it separately and visit The Selous, Ngorongoro and Zanzibar for something different.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

Hi Christina. From your two choices of end July/beginning August and mid-end August, I would take the later. At least you know the Wildebeest should be in the mara. Hopefully you may see a crossing or two.

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

You have good recommendations on times here. But you need to understand some things better. The "migration" is all the wildebeest moving in long lines towards the Mara River. At some point, of course, they cross it. People get the idea from watching Natl Geographic that somehow you will stand on a balcony on the river and just watch wildebeest swimming across. It's not that easy! If you are quite lucky, you might see them in the river. More likely, you might see them collecting on one bank before they cross over. If you truly want to see the animals in the water, you need to allow probably several days down at that section of the park.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

late July early August will be the best to have a chance to witness the migration. All the best!!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

The 'Great Migration' is actually the annual movement of 1½ million wildebeest, ½ million Thompson’s gazelle, 200,000 zebra, and around 20,00 eland around the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem following the rains and the fresh growth of grasses. Having arrived in an area of good grass they will stay there until either the grass is gone or they sense that the rains have reached another area and it is time to move on.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

The 20 Eland are quite hard to spot. You will need an eagle-eyed guide but could be lucky.

;-)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

oops! missed a zero - should have been 20,000

9. Re: July or August to witness the migration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...