We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most popular focal length lens?

crisjansonpiers@goog...
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Most popular focal length lens?

Hiya Guys,

Can any of you who have been on safari, tell me the most popular length focal length lens you used.

ps, I wont be taking any biggies like 600+

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

Most popular are either 70-300 or 50-500 (can recommend highly as I use both myself). Most game drive vehicles supply photographers with a beanbag rest, unless you're going on a dedicated photography safari with all the bells and whistles, in which case you'll get the proper tripods etc.

If in doubt, pick up a beanbag rest from any good photographic store and bring it with you.

crisjansonpiers@goog...
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

TOPZ! This is a great forum, thanks to all and any more tips even more welcome!

C ;-)

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

You're welcome! You sound like quite an avid photographer so no point in teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but maybe worth mentioning that it's essential to have a good air brush and lens cloth in your camera bag. You'll need them, probably every night, after a dusty game drive. Try to avoid switching lenses as much as possible, particularly once outside your tent. Dust here is always in the air, even if you can't see it.

Other than that - safari njema! (good trip)

FL410

crisjansonpiers@goog...
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

Thanks again, all this advice is great, yes believe me, I have bought a D7000 as I don't want to take the D700 etc, just because, as you say the dust! I was so worried about it and opted to buy another body which will get the results but not put my other gear and lenses at risk.

Respect.

C

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

Intersting. Just bought a Fuji RS 20 EXR for my first Safari in September. I am a budding amateur but was told that with the 30 zoom no need to change lens therefore no dust getting in?

Question. Do I need a filter? Should I use one for better, say, evening sunset pictures or during the day? Read the safari photographic book but no mention. If so what type, colour etc. I suppose at least the dust would only get on the filter, not the lens?

Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

Would always advise a filter as if you get the lens dirty then it's the filter you are rubbing clean and not the lens itself. I have a Canon DSLR and unfortunately only have a 75-250mm zoom lens, after taking this on safari then I recommend a couple of things, firstly get a good editing suite and take the time and patience to edit your photos, it is well worth it. Secondly given the choice I would love a minimum of a 300mm lens but dont have the spare cash to justify buying one.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

I'd buy a filter for it but keep it simple. Just a uv or skylight filter, which will serve mostly to protect your lens from dust, as you say, and from minor bumps. A hood wouldn't hurt either and would help in bright sun. Both can be had at low cost I think.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

I agree. A polariser would drop you a stop which is fine in bright conditions but not otherwise. An ordinary UV or Daylight will serve as a scratch and dust shield.

Magoo. Be wary at shooting at 30x. the slightest shake will give fuzziness. Just keep the resolution as high as you can and then you can crop when you get home. Never ever use the digital zoom, Optical only.

As for bringing a Bean bag out with you. Why? Bring the bag by all means and then just stop off at Nakumatt or some Duka and buy dried Beans or Peas, Lentils or even Rice. Fill your bag and ready to go!

At the end of the trip give the bag to your guide to take home for the pot.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

Thanks for advice. Just got the camera and am trying all the photo options before I go, to see where the problems are. Knew nothing re filters so will get a uv one to keep the lens protected, if nothing else. Camera came with hood.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most popular focal length lens?

I have also just purchased a fujifilm HS20 , I went into the camera shop to buy a new lens for my DSLR and came out with a new camera.

The Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR's 30x zoom lens provides a focal length of 24-720mm in 35mm terms and 16 Megapixels.

It also has an anti-shake mechanism, which allows you to take sharp photos at slower shutter speeds and on full zoom. i have been playing around with it over the past few weekends and have been very impressed with it especially with the shots taken with the zoom set to 720mm. A great little compact camera for the amateur photographer negating the need to take a bag of lenses on safari. and for less than the price of a single DSLR lens.