We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for short safari in November?

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Topic
where to stay for short safari in November?

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice on where to stay for an all-too-brief safari in the Mara in November.

My fiance and I will be in western Kenya volunteering in a rural clinic for 2 weeks in late October-early November (Bware). This is our first trip to Kenya and we are very honored and excited to be able to have this opportunity. At the end of the trip we will only have 2 or 3 days of sightseeing (traveling from Bware to Kisumu on a Friday, then to the Masai Mara- not sure how yet but hopefully by plane). We will need to leave on a plane from Nairobi back to the states on Monday, so getting back to Nairobi Sat night or early Sun morn. I haven't figured out how to arrange that yet but figure I'll sort it out after settling on a camp for the safari.

With so little time, not sure where to stay, especiially since it's after migration in the rainy season. We don't want to stay anywhere too over-the-top luxe (i.e. no pools) as this will feel too weird after volunteering for people who don't have enough water on a regular basis. The Rough Guide recommends Basecamp Explorer because it's eco-friendly but I was wondering if being outside of the reserve means we'll spend more of the day driving than a different location?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay for short safari in November?

Believe from Kisimu you'll have to get to Nairobi (by air) for flight to Masai Mara. Flights depart from Wilson (domestic) airport to the Mara at 10am and 3pm, so keep that in mind. Flights back to Nairobi/Wilson depart the Mara at 11am and 4pm.

Most all of the camps in/around the Mara are eco-friendly, so that isn't the top selling point. And, by late-Oct/early-Nov, you might be surprised to find that some of the migrating herds are still "hanging" out... we've seen them as late as Dec. So whether you're inside the reserve or on one of the group ranches won't make that much difference. Driving is part of safari and from day-to-day one never knows where you'll come upon game. However, budget will be as in November the prices at most lodges/camps are at "low-season" rates... Whoopie.

Take a look at www.go-safari.com select Kenya, select Masai Mara, check out the map showing most all camps/lodges, the descriptions, estimated prices. Contact an in-country outfitter in Nairobi - see the KATO (Kenya Association of Tour Operators site) Contact a few for prices, flights schedules to see where it takes you.

We've been in Kenya during Nov and only had few "wet" episodes, if any it's usually an afternoon thunderstorm, then clears and no humidity; sometimes overnight showers.

Good luck.

2. Re: where to stay for short safari in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 01, 2009