We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Family Holidays

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunmow
2 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Family Holidays

Has anyone been on the Masi Mara Family Safari? It looks very good but I can't find any reviews.

worcester UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

We have not been yet, but are due to fly out with virgin to Siana springs & voyager beach resort on the 10th of september with a 4 & 7 year old, did lots of research and felt that the Virgin Masi mara family safari fitted our needs, thw camp seems secure and the veach resort was picked by a virin rep that assured us that the hotel would best suit a young family. Hve flow with virgin before and although we did not have children then i was very impressed with their service when it comes to children, i also have a friend who is an air hostess who recommends virgin when traveling with children. Rachel x

Dunmow
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

Thanks for the info tajay214 I would be very interested to hear how you get on. We are not planning to go until next year.

worcester UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

i will post a review on our return at the end of september x

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

How are you getting to Sienna Springs Camp? The journey by road/track takes about 6 hours. There is an airstip at Sienna Springs and the flight from Nairobi is only 45 minutes. Had we've known this we would've preferred to fly especially as our vehicle went off the road into a ditch on the way to the camp which meant that we didn't get to Sienna until 3pm making our journey by mini-bus 7 hours and 20 minutes. also take your brochure with you its the only way to get a 4x4 vehicle. we had to make do with a minibus as the safari conpany wouldn't give us a 4x4 and I didn't think to take the brochure on holiday with me.

The safari is excellent hope you have a great time!Also the Voyager is one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in. Despite the accident the holiday is one of the best that we have experienced and we do intend to go on safari again except next time we will fly!

worcester UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

Thanks for all the information, did you go with virgin atlantic ? Yes we are driving to the siana springs we were not given another option. We will be taking the brochure with us thanks for the tip. Can i ask what the food was like at siana springs and did you do a baloon flight if so were there age restrictions and did you book on arrival.

Regards rachel x

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

I would suggest, if budget allows, to request to fly to the Masai Mara. There are some discounts for children under 12/yrs. The road isn't the best and drive time is easily 5/hrs. to Siana Springs Camp which is located outside the reserve by about 30/min. There is an airstrip not too far from the camp.

If driving, you'll be using the vehicle/guide that drives you for your game drives during your stay, along with possible 2/additional paxs.* If flying, you'll be using vehicle/guide provided by the camp (at a slightly higher daily price) and possible 2/additional paxs.

*max paxs per vehicle is usually 6/paxs.

I assume from the Masai Mara you'll be flying to Mombasa!

As to the balloon safaris, there is a minimum age - believe either 10 or 12/yrs.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

Hi Rachel

Yes we did go with Virgin Atlantic and did do the Family Safari then 10 days at the Voyager. The food at the camp was very good and it was either buffet style (breakfast) or a choice from a set menu. We didn't do the ballon safari as 2 of us don't like heights so I can't help you with that.

The road journey is dreadful, you travel on tracks for most of the way there are very few tarmaced roads and it was rush hour in Nairobi which made progress very slow, we would never do that again, coming back we left the camp at 7.15am and arrived in Nairobi at 1.45pm . The 3pm flight to Mombasa was cancelled and this happened to other people flying on other days and we caught a flight at 5.30pm all in all very tiring travelling days. going to the camp was a night mare after the long flight and we had been travelling for over 24 hours by the time we got to the camp. on arrival after lunch you are supposed to go out on a game drive but what with the accident and the time and the fact that we were all so tired we didn't go and missed half a days safari.We are frequent flyers and found it hard to sleep on the plane mainly due to the noisy cabin crew talking and banging and crashing about. Next time we will definitely fly direct to Mombasa, stay at the Voyager and book our safari from there .

We did have our safari vehicle to ourselves and didn't have to share there was 3 of us in our party.

Despite the problems we did have an excellent holiday,loved Kenya and will go back our son wants to go back next year.

Hope you have a great holiday!

worcester UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

Thanks for all the replys,

we are still going to drive as it is so close to the holiday although i will be fully prepared for entertaining the children will be taking a few essentials with us. Sorry your virgin flight was disrupted, hope they are a little less noisey when we fly, i wish virgin would hurry up and sent the tikets though, they do leave it a little close to the mark sending out documentation, all the same have flown with virgin before and have liked there service. Yes we are also off to the voyager following the safari for 10 days it looks beautiful and the reviews look and sound good.

Ps: did any one suffer from bad tummys during their trip?

worcester UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

What i forgot to add is that we have looked into the flights from nairobi to masi mara and the earliest flight is 10am and we arrive at 06.15am so we would be sat around for a few hours, although the flight would only cost around $500 dollars, which is quite good for a family of four we thought.

Rachel

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Family Holidays

We didn't have an tummy problems at all and we ate loads of salads and fruit.