We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
11 posts
Save Topic
14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Hi all,

Looking for help regarding booking my honeymoon to Kenya. I have got a few itinerary's now and really like the sound of this one.

Just need advice...is it better to drive or fly between places? Also this includes a private mini bus, is this a must? I am worried regarding being packed into a mini bus and everyone fisghting for the best view!

Anyway here is the details, if someone can give me advice I would be most grateful, aslo should I except the fist price or fight for a lower cost?

One final thing...sorry the balloon ride is that a must do, as it does sound great? If it is should I book it with the lodge once out there?

Thanks again for reading this!!

all the best Hakan

MON 08 SEP 20H00 DEPART: LONDON HEATHROW TERMINAL 4

Kenya Airways - Economy Class

TUE 09 SEP 06H30 ARRIVE: NAIROBI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

On arrival at Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport you will be met by our representative and you will commence your safari with a pleasant drive to Lake Naivasha, probably Kenya’s most beautiful fresh water lake to your lodge built on the edge of Lake Naivasha, in beautiful grounds with green shaded lawns and bright flower beds. Afternoon at leisure. Lunch dinner and overnight at your lodge.

LAKE NAIVASHA SOPA LODGE - 1 x Double room with private facilities on a full board basis

IN: 09 SEP OUT: 11 SEP

WED 10 SEP Lake Naivasha/ Lake Nakuru

After breakfast drive to Lake Nakuru National Park. Lake Nakuru is one of the many beautiful Rift Valley Lakes, and home to thousands of flamingos and other bird and animal life. You will view game in the morning. Thereafter return to your lodge by Lake Naivasha for a late lunch. Dinner and overnight at your lodge.

THU 11 SEP Masai Mara

After breakfast you will be driven across the floor of the Great Rift Valley, the longest rift in the crust of the earth, to Masai Mara. You will spend three nights in this natural paradise among zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, buffalo, elephant, antelope and gazelle. There is a good chance of spotting cheetah and if you are lucky, the shy leopard. Have lunch, dinner and stay overnight at the lodge.

Karen Blixen Camp in the Masai Mara offers an authentic ’yesteryear’ experience for visitors wishing to gain that little extra from their safari. Set on the bank of the Mara River the camp consists of 22 luxurious tents. The location is spectacular, with the great Mara plains behind the camp and the impressive escarpment and Mara River in front. Throughout the day, zebras, elephants and hippos come to drink from the river.

Staying in a bush camp doesn’t mean compromising on comfort; the food and service are first class, as are the warmth and experience of Karen Blixen Camp staff.

The camp comprises 22 spacious tents set on large mahogany platforms – each with a veranda from which one can enjoy an afternoon siesta taking in the wonderful surroundings. The tents are furnished with comfortable furniture for the ultimate camping luxury. 19 tents are placed along the riverbank, whilst 3 units are situated on raised platforms offering incredible views of the area. Each of the tents has private toilet and shower. Camp facilities also include a restaurant, a bar and a swimming pool, as well as wellness treatments are offered by the resident masseuse.

The camp is situated in southern Kenya on the northwestern border of the famed Masai Mara Reserve in Koiyaki 20 minutes drive north of Musiara Gata on 66 acres concession of private land leased from a Masai landlord. Karen Blixen camp is accessible by flight from Nairobi, Mombassa, Samburu, Lewa Downs and Nayuki or by private charter flights. The camp is also accessible by road. The drive from Nairobi takes approximately 5 hours during the dry season, and 7 hours in the green season.

The Masai Mara Game Reserve is characterised by small, forested areas on open grassland cut through by rivers and small streams. Rain occurs throughout the year, which along with the varied vegetation guarantees wildlife spotting year round. This is one of the reasons why the Masai Mara holds its fame. Lion families are found throughout the Mara, and large herds of elephants are often spotted by water holes and rivers. The fastest creature on the savannah, the cheetah, can regularly be seen from a distance hunting for Thomson’s gazelles.

1 x Double Luxury tent with private facilities on a full board basis

IN: 11 SEP OUT: 14 SEP

Address: Masai Mara

FRI 12 SEP Masai Mara

After breakfast the morning is spent game viewing. Lunch at the lodge watching safe game from the dining area before your afternoon game drive. Lunch, dinner and overnight at your lodge.

SAT 13 SEP Masai Mara

After breakfast the morning is spent game viewing. Lunch at the lodge watching safe game from the dining area before your afternoon game drive. Lunch, dinner and overnight at your lodge.

SUN 14 SEP Leave the lodge after breakfast and you will be transferred to Nairobi’s

Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for your flight to Mombasa.

SUN 14 SEP 17H30 DEPART: NAIROBI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Kenya Airways – Economy Class

SUN 14 SEP 18H30 ARRIVE: MOMBASA AIRPORT

COVE RETREAT – Tree Houses - 1 x Double Treehouse with private facilities on an all inclusive basis

IN: 14 SEP OUT: 21 SEP

Address: Kinondo Beach

Mombasa

SUN 21 SEP Enjoy your last day in Mombasa. At a pre-arranged time in resort our

representative will meet you and will transfer you to Mombasa Airport.

SUN 21 SEP 21H00 DEPART: MOMBASA AIRPORT

Kenya Airways – Economy Class

SUN 21 SEP 22H00 ARRIVE: NAIROBI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

On arrival at Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport make your way to the International Departures Lounge and await your connecting flight to London

SUN 21 SEP 23H50 DEPART: NAIROBI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Kenya Airways –Economy Class

MON 22 SEP 06H45 ARRIVE: LONDON HEATHROW TERMINAL 4

The cost of all flights, departure taxes, safari and a double Suite at Cove Retreat Treehouse is £2,939.00 per person

Additional excursions at Karen Blixen Camp

Hot air balloon safari is £289.00 per person

Night game drive is £35.00 per person

The above costs include all flights, departure taxes, private safari with your own driver/guide in a 7 seater microbus (night game drive is an additional £35.00 per person per drive), park fees, transfers and accommodation and board basis as specified.

End of itinerary

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Hi Hakan, I would seriously think about an alternative before parting with any money for deposits etc..... just in case it doesn't clear up in time.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

If this itinerary has been prepared just for the two of you, then it's a private trip... you're the only ones in the vehicle for the safari portion. But clarify with your outfitter; you don't want surprises.

Hot air balloon is expensive. Some love it, others not.

What are the options "additional" excursions at Karen Blixen Camp? A Masai Manyatta visit? Cost is about $20-$25/person.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

hi Hakan,

I loked at the itinerary and felt that you will be spending a lot in Naivasha. I would suggest the folowing summarized itinerary:

9. sep - Pick up at JKIA and drive to Aberdares Natioanal Park. Overnight at Treetops Lodge

10. Sep - Depart for L. Nakuru lunch at Lion Hill Lodge evening game drive and drive to L. Naivasha overnight at the L. Naivasha Simba

11. Sep - Morning boatride and with picnic lunch boxes depart for Masai Mara. Arrive at Tipilikwani or Ngama Hill Camp (Exclusive camps around the sekenani area) You can access Hippo point easily

12/13. sep - full days in Mara with morning and afternoon game drives.

14. Sep - Depart Mara for Nairobi to arrive for lunch at the Carnivore. You can have an optional excusion treated as an extra. drop off at JKIA foor fligt to Mombasa. Met on arrival and transferred to the cove where you are booked on all inclusive in a forest suite.

15/16.Sep - full days spent at the cove

17. Sep - Drive to the sable valley on the age of shimba hill Game reserve to the sable tree houses. A very romantic place.Overnight at the sable tree house on all inclusive basis

18. Sep - Full day at the sable tree house

19. Sep - Return to the Cove

20-21. Sep - Full days spent at the cove

22. Sep - Transfer to the Airport for your local flight to Nairobi to connect international flight to hearthrow.

End of service.

The cost of this comes to US $4925 per person inclusive of flights and taxes.And based on private use of a minibus

Balloon is US $ 425 per person.

compare.

Lil

Kent
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Sorry for the delay internet problems!

This is for a private safari on a mini bus. Are min buses any good?

Also does anyone have any other hotels I can look at regarding the beach stay that are like The Cove Retreat? Thought I should look at more besides the cove.

Thanks again for the replies!

Hakan

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Mini buses are great if its on a private basis. You can stretch out and stand up to game view without the jostling of position with other people. I have been known to take a cat nap on the back seat in between lodges!

Some people on TA recommend Kole Kole for a honeymoon. Alternatively, one of the superior sea-facing rooms at Voyager - perhaps not quite as romantic as the Cove but handy for Mombasa and local attractions.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

since on honey moon would be beter to fly at some point the roads especially in the rift valley arent all that good and if have to drive a private 4 wheel would be better and comfortable. Voyager one of the superior seaview corner rooms with glass window on two sides would be ideal either the first or second floor, these are specific for honeymooners

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

hi,

i have to disagree with shipman concerning the vehicle, we have used landcruisers,landrovers and minibus and in fact for our 2006 trip we bought a 4x4 toyota minibus,you have a lot more space and it was more than adequate for any roads or non roads we came up against,even in the rainy season.

as for the balloon,book it when you get there,£289 is expensive for a ballon trip.we found it facinating though and would do it again.

chk our blog on www.anadventureinafrica.com

you may get some more ideas.

agy

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Hello Hakan79,

I don´t know if I read your itinerary correctly, but i think for your first few afternoons, you don´t do any afternoon safari drives ? This would be a shame, but having to spend extra money for the night drives, does not sound to good? !!!

I have not stayed at the Lodges you have mentioned, so i can not comment,but, I hope you do go to Kenya for the wild life in as much as the luxury accommodation ?

There are allot more places to visit, in the same time limit, but may not be up to the standards of luxury, but the reserves can be allot more interesting.

I do not wish too offend, but for your holiday of a life time, I think different locations other than Lake Naivasha could be more beneficial.

Lake Nakuru is great as per your itinerary, Masai Mara also, but, why not try Samburu reserve and or even Mount Kenya reserve, they are completely different, but you can at least add a little more for your money?

The rest of your holiday for the beach ( Cove retreat) sounds wonderful !

I hope i may have got you thinking a little, but don´t book anything until you are definitely positive of what you want for this fantastic holiday.

Have a good look around, get a few quotes from different people.

You can get allot of different Company names on here from reliable people.

Your holiday starts, when your looking around, and you get excited while doing it !

What ever you decide, have a great time !

Taffy

Kent
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

Thanks for all the advice!!

I will take on all your views!

all the best Hakan

10. Re: 14 day Honeymoon Itinerary need help booking!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...