We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon Rides

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon Rides

Seem pricey, anyone been lately? Is this a MUST DO? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon Rides

Hi,

for us it was a must do and will be a must do again sometime,yes it is a bit pricey but in my opinion worth it,some others have a different opinion but we went in aug 1 year at the start of the migration.and it is so peaceful,like nothing i've experienced before.

agy

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon Rides

It was a great experience (Aug 06) - as agyhill says, very peaceful and to land in the Mara to a chef cooking brekky was great. However, whilst floating peacefully in the air (fantastic scenery) the rest of our group were out in the safari van (we had to 'give up' a scheduled drive in favour of the balloon and it cost over £400 for us both).

The other 4 in our party in the van watched part of the migration crossing, we were sick as parrots as that had been something we'd really wanted to see (right time of year for it but no guarantees).

We immediately bought an 11:00am drive from the hotel and the driver went in search of another crossing at the favourite crossing points, lucky for us his timing was perfect, we got prime viewing position and didn't have to wait for hours for the wildebeast/zebra to get up the nerve to launch across.

As safari 'virgins' I don't feel the balloon was worth it, nothing we saw from the air compared to watching the crossing. Though if it were our second/third/whatever safari then my opinion would be different. We'd be in a better position to probably have seen every sight we'd wanted to see on the ground so only then would a look from the air be on my 'must do' list.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon Rides

We have just returned from a weeks' safari on Saturday. We weren't planning to do a balloon ride but some others in our group were doing it so because it was my birthday we decided to book it.

We were staying at Kicheche Mara Camp so were in the conservation area. The anticipation of watching the balloon being prepared was great and seeing the African sunrise. The launch was really smooth and it was very peaceful.

We did enjoy the flight but have to say that it was not as good as we thought it would be. We didn't go very far and just seemed to circle over a Masai village, which was interesting to see from the air.

We saw very few animals, but the scenery was beautiful.

Having said that we didn't think it was worth the money, over £400, and would rather have been on a game drive. We were lucky that our group didn't see anything we hadn't seen before, if they had we would have been gutted.

I don't know whether it would have been better from a launch site in the Mara National Reserve near Governors camp.

The landing was exciting and good fun landing in bushes and being pulled out.

All in all it was enjoyable, but overpriced and definitely not a once in a lifetime experience, seeing your first cheetah or lion in the wild now that is a once in a lifetime experience in our opinion.

Kenya
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon Rides

Oh yah, tis a bit pricy, $ 390 per person but an experience worth doing as you only get to do it once in a lifetime,

Try it out when you come over, Adventures ALOFT OR bALLOON sAFARIS IS THE BEST, KEEP IN TOUCH INCASE OF ASSISTANCE

usa
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloon Rides

I was just there. i did my balloon ride in the seregeti (tanzania) instead. You should not pay more than 385.00 for Masai Mara. I did not see many animals-I thought from the sky I would have seen zillions. We soared anywhere from 1 foot off the ground to 800 feet, even hit a few trees on the way. There is a touch down toast followed by the English breakfast which was nice too. If you think you'll never have the opportunity to do a ride, I'd do it here.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloon Rides

The prices for balloon safaris is both Kenya and Tanzania will be quite a bit higher for 2008.

There will be a new balloon in the Western Serengeti, for 12/pax only, priced in the $450/person range, maybe higher. The other balloons (believe 2) in the Central Serengeti, also in the same price range.

There are a number of balloon lift-off sites in the Masai Mara; prices a bit less than Serengeti, but not much - in the $425-$450/person range.

Prices include breakfast on landing.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Balloon Rides

The prices for balloon safaris is both Kenya and Tanzania will be quite a bit higher for 2008.

There will be a new balloon in the Western Serengeti, for 12/pax only, priced in the $450/person range, maybe higher. The other balloons (believe 2) in the Central Serengeti, also in the same price range.

There are a number of balloon lift-off sites in the Masai Mara; prices a bit less than Serengeti, but not much - in the $425-$450/person range.

Prices include breakfast on landing.

8. Re: Balloon Rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 14, 2009