We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

Guys,

I'm staying at of one the these lodges in December but I couldn't deceide. Could anyone give me advise as to which one is better to view animals and service. As these lodges are in the mara I was wondering if it gets cold in December and what type of clothing I would need in day and evening.

Thanks,

AP

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

In December exact location doesn't much matter. As to which camp, know that Mara Safari Club is recently redone/refurbished and is quite lovely. This camp is regularly used by Micato and A&K... if that means anything. The staff, guides and food are very good.

Sarova is inside the Reserve, while Safari Club is outside, but game can and will be found in both areas.

If early Dec, there may still be rain (coming out of the "short" rains), otherwise, daytime temps are mild, but can get hot as you're going into summer. Still need a sweater or jacket for cool mornings and nights.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

Tents @ Mara Safari Club are some of the biggest in Kenya, those at Mara Sarova, some of the smallest. At Mara Safari Club, your tent is along the river. At Sarova, strung up a hill, all in rows. The lodge at Mara Safari has a distinctly 'bush' feel to it, though large. The lodge at Mara Sarova has a distinctly 'non bush' feel to it, and is also large.

Mara Safari Club is some distance north of the reserve and you will not actually go into the Masai Mara Reserve. But, you will be saving $40 per day, since there would be no park fees. And the quote from the operator should reflect that information. Mara Sarova is in the Masai Mara Reserve in the eastern part of it. Park fees should be included in your quote. At Mara Safari Club, you are near Masai communities - might even be given a chance to visit the local weekly market.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

Hi AP,

the Mara Sarova Camp has been renovated, too. And from the pics it looks really great. We have been there twice before the renovation, but we had both times a new tent and it was a very nice stay.

I have never been to the Mara Safari Club.

The main point for the decision for us has been the location.

Like written, the Mara Sarova is inside the origin Masai Mara, the Mara Safari outside.

You can see the location here :

go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/MasaiMaraCamps2.j…

Hope this might help you a little bit.

Clothing - light jacket or pullover for the early morning and the evening. Maybe a pair of sport shoes.

Wish you a great trip.

Bye

Chrissy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

If staying at Mara Safari Club and don't going into the reserve itself, there may very well be a group ranch/council fee for being on Masai land... so don't assume no daily park/council fee. And if they do take you into the reserve, there will be a daily fee.

Be sure whatever fees are due are included in your quote, so you don't have to go digging for money to pay anywhere.

Kenya
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

Hello All,

Just to clarify that there are park fees payable at Mara Safari Club as well even though it is not within the reserve. The fact that it is "Masai Mara" it warrants a park fee. The park fees are usually padi by guests directly at the camp or even through the tour operator. In any case just make sure it is indicated by agent.

Both lodges are good and the experience will be superb..!!

Enjoy :-)

6. Re: Sarova Mara Tented Lodge or Mara Safari Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 11, 2009