We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for place to stay

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for place to stay

HI

I am looking for a recommendation on a place to stay in Masai Mara. I am trying to decide between the following:-

- Keekorok Lodge

- Governor's Camp

- Mara Serena Lodge

Can someone who has stayed at any of these please give me a recommendation on them?

Thanks

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
83 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for place to stay

Hi!

All depends when you're going to the Mara. Best period is July to October when the Migration is in the Mara. I know all 3 camps and lodges. You can't beat Governor's Camp, especially Little Governors, for its authentic safari feeling. The tents are very nice but no electricity, it's lighted by gas lamps. Little Gov only has 17 tents so no crowds. Mian Gov has about 35 tents. And there is always lots of game in their region. Since its best accessed by air, there are far fewer vehicles driving around than at the 2 other lodges. The Littel Gov tents are around a swamp area with game galore.

Keekorok and Serena are both large lodges meaning you sleep in a proper room, not a tent.

Keekorok is newly refurbished. They both attract groups. When I last was at Keekorok, large chattering crows of japanese and chinese tourists were a put off. Keekorok has it's own hippo pool you can walk to. And Kekkor sits right at the centre of the Mara, it's the oldest lodge there.

You can't beat Serena for it's location, another large lodge. It sits on a hilltop with wonderful views on the Mara. This is also used by groups but Serena has a fine reputation and you can't beat their champagne breakfasts.

All 3 properties are very good for a safari.

Hope you enjoy your safari !

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for place to stay

Hi Saury,

we have been at the Keekorok and the Mara Serena, but not yet in the Governors. The Governors is fantastic, no doubt, but for us, the relation between the price and what you get is not the right thing.

The Keekorok and the Mara Serena are both big lodges. The Mara Serena has a famous location on the top of a small hill from where you have a spectacular view to the landscape of the Mara. The rooms there are small, but okay.

It is a favourite of many bigger groups who are staying only for one or two night.

In compare to the Keekorok, we found it more buisy.

The Keekorok is our favourite. The rooms are great, the food is of high quality. It belongs now to the Wilderness group and the service was like in the Larsens (Sisterlodge) really perfect.

Usually i prefer camps but this year we are changed from a camp to the Keekorok because of the weather. First i was really disappointed, but the time we arrived at the Keekorok - really great. I changed a little bit my opinion of only going to camps if it is possible.

The Keekorok has an own hippo pool and there you can see more other animals. On this place there is a thatched bar where you can enjoy a sundowner.

During our stay, there have been really many tourists but another type as in the Serena. It seemed not to be so buisy and the people have been very nice.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Bye

Chrissy

USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for place to stay

What time of year are you travelling? This is most important!

Keekorok is not in the center of the Mara. You can see its location here: www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimarai.htm Accommodation is rather basic (unless you get the rooms in the front left of the property) and the pool cannot be compared with the Serena. But the bar at the hippo pool is nice.

Keekorok pictures: www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/keekorok.htm

During certain months, the grasses around Keekorok are very high and it very difficult to see wildlife. You have to drive to the Triangle or Talek areas where the grass are normally shorter.

Look at some of my pictures here fto see how tall the grass gets! go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimaraiImages.…

In general the Triangle area is better for wildlife. Therefore the Serena gets my vote when compared to Keekorok. The views are magnificent, especially ffrom the pool. Pictures here: www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaserena.htm

However, IMO nothing beats a tented camp while on safari. So giving your choices my overall vote is for Little Govs (thanks to fewer tents and the swamp), followed by Main Governors.

go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/Littlegovernors.h…

www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/governors.htm

How do you feel about sleeping under (luxury) canvas with no fences?

There are excellent other options such as Rekero, Serian, Explorer, etc!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for place to stay

Jambo Eben,

yes you are right, a night in a tent on safari - excellent. Next year we are in the Mara Intrepids and very happy about this.

For the last safari this year, we have been too late to get it. So we decided to go to Ilkeliani. Because of the big rains and the bad conditions of the roads, we changed to Keekorok.

We have been direct before the nights in the Keekorok in the Mara Serena, this was, why we had the direct possibility to compare.

As you know, recommendations are always a personal opinion.

Yes, Mara is good, but during our stay it was more than buisy. In the points of food, rooms and service and noise, the Keekorok was the winner. In point of location the Mara Serena. okay, the garden at the Serena is nicer, but the way to the Hippo Pool with the bar i prefered.

The grass was tall, and the spotting at Mara better, but there have been bad road conditions and many areas have been closed, even nearby the Keekorok.

I think, it depends really on the time, you are going there.

I am not a friend of big lodges, i prefer the camps. Because of our budget, we depend on some camps, e.g. Rekero and Naibor are too expensive and the only alternative inside the origin Masai Mara for us is the Intrepids. We have been twice at the Sarova and once in the Kicheche outside. My opinion is, to get an accomodation has its advantages and there are some advantages, if you have an accomodation outside.

Because of no need of night game drives and walkings, we prefer the accomodations inside, there the choice is not so big.

The Keekorok was a really surprise for me. We had a very nice room on the left side of the compound near to the Hippo Pool, so that you have been able to hear the voices.

Because of the much rain, i think it was even a better solution. We stayed before the nights in the Mara in some camps in Tanzania and even during our stay at Ikoma, it was really very wet and not so much comfortable than the lodge before because of the wet weather.

I enjoy your well-done website and it helped me very much for our plannings. Thanks a lot.

Bye

Chrissy

5. Re: Recommendation for place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...