We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

western kenya travel

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
western kenya travel

I'm considering a trip to Kenya and would like to visit masai mara. However, we also have a sponsor child near Mbala, Uganda that I would like to visit after our safari. I cannot find any information on getting around in western kenya. It looks as if there are no planes or anything. Is it possible to get a driver to take me across the Uganda border, and what is the safety of driving in rural Kenya / Uganda? Approximately how long does the journey take?

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: western kenya travel

You can travel from Nairobi to the Masai mara and stay 2 nights 3 days there. Enjoy the beauty of the Masai Mara and travel further to

Kisumu. Overnight in Kisumu. Next day drive via Malaba to Uganada and Visit the Child. Option to stay one or two days with the Child. Drive back to Nairobi. If you have more days lleft maybe

stay overnight in Eldoret, Kericho or Nakuru.

In Kenya no problem, for Uganda you have to give exact direction so we can advise on the safty of the places.

for more info please send email slofty@web.de ref. safari kenya/Uganda

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: western kenya travel

I am a volunteer with a Christian Mission in Bungoma District. Do you have a map? We are very close to the border at Malaba and sometimes take children over to Mbale for corrective surgery.

There are hotels in Bungoma and we have a small Guest House here in Kimilili. It's about an hour to the border from here and the road is not bad (all tarmac). It is very easy to move around. Not diffi- I can find out about crossing the border. Problem may be insurance, so you'd need to hire on the other side.

For Mbale, I suggest you cross at Malaba, not Busia. There is a crossing at Lwakhaha, but not on tarmac, though nearer to Mbale!!

If you have an idea where your Masai Mara safari will end, then I can advise further. Very happy to help!

You can send me a private message if you prefer.

Ann

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: western kenya travel

Sorry - a bit of my message above is missing!! My fault for not checking properly.

It is very easy to hire a vehicle with a driver to the border.

We do sponsor children and I have been doing it for years, even before I joined the Mission!! I advise you not to arrange to stay with your child! I can explain if you like.

Ann

4. Re: western kenya travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, May 14, 2007
5. Re: western kenya travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 31, 2009