We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi
1 post
2 reviews
How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

I would like to go do some work in Lamu and was wondering how one even gets there. I am in Nairobi right now. By surface or air, how does one get to Lamu?

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
359 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

You could go by plane (Fly540, Safarilink or Air Kenya). Fares are from around 11500 KES one-way (depending on the airline). Or by bus from Nairobi to Mombasa and then with Tawakal Bus to Lamu. Sometimes Simba Coach had direct connections from Nairobi to Lamu (or Mpeketoni, which is around 90 minutes away from Mokowe/Lamu)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

From Malindi to Lamu, Fly540 charges $40.00 O/W.

Take the bus from NBI from MBA (or Malindi direct) with either Modern Coast or Mash or Coast Bus. Then take flight to Lamu from Malindi.

Or if you can afford $100.00 O/W for flight from NBI direct to Lamu.

I don't recommend going by bus to Lamu, at least from Malindi. it's a long tiring journey.

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
359 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

That's another option: you could take a direct bus to Malindi and from Malindi at 11:15 with Fly540 to Lamu (tickets either 3140 KES or 4140 KES, only when you book through a Fly540 agent). But then you probably have to stay overnight in Malindi. Plane tickets from Nairobi to Lamu with Fly540 are around 11500 KES or 12500 KES one-way (through a Fly540 agent).

For the bus ride the last two hours are bumpy. We receive a lot of guests arriving by bus, and all of them survived. The only thing is when you book the bus ticket last minute you get the last seats at the back and that's NOT comfortable (but I also survived that a few times). I even traveled on much worse roads at Lake Victoria two years ago (ok, now that road has been upgraded) or last year from Nakuru to Kericho.

4. Re: How does one get from Nairobi to Lamu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, February 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations