We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to allow between flights at JKIA and Wilson

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Time to allow between flights at JKIA and Wilson

After reading another post I'm a little concerned about the flights our agent has booked for us and that we don't have enough time to transfer between flights.

We are due to land at JKIA at 6.30am and need to transfer to Wilson Airport for a flight that departs at 10.00am. Is this going to prove difficult with collecting luggage, getting a visa etc? Was hoping it would be a straightforward honeymoon until I saw another post, but as you would, we trusted our travel agent!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to allow between flights at JKIA and Wilson

I would definitely talk to your agent if you have concerns, peace of mind is part of the service we offer. However as a fellow pro who has probably booked this exact transfer 100's of times without incident, I would say it sounds very reasonable to me. Yes, the hugely unusual can happen, but based on normal events (even the horror that is Nairobi traffic), this should be absolutely fine. Catching the little flights from Wilson does not require you to be there hours beforehand to make sure you get on the plane. Even in the (pretty unlikely) scenario you did miss the flight, provided you've booked your flights and ground arrangements together, and you've booked with a reputable company, it is their job to make sure you get where you need to go, not just abandon you at Wilson.

I hope this puts your mind at rest, I really don't think there's a huge reason to worry.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to allow between flights at JKIA and Wilson

You should be fine JSandy83 – the 3 and a half hours between Kenya Airways' arrival and the 10am flights out of Wilson is invariably plenty of time, as Alexandra says - particularly at weekends, and even during the week. There are earlier flights from Wilson which would more of a worry. Since the work on the Langata Road running past Wilson Airport has been largely finished over the last few months, the traffic is moving a lot faster around the airport. The airlines at Wilson are also very adept at organising contingency plans at short notice: they've been working with passengers slowed down by traffic for many years and will do everything possible to help out. But it almost certainly won't be necessary.

Safari njema!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

3. Re: Time to allow between flights at JKIA and Wilson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 12, 2015