We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Hello I am planning my honymoon this Oct to Kenya, 10 days Safafi Tour.

I am having a hardtime to plan my flight, it is a really long flight from Vancouver to Kenya. Can anyone recommendate me a flight route, shortest flight, safe and not too pricey.

Many thanks for your help.

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Posting your question on Air Travel forum may be helpful.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

All routes will be just as long.

Have a look at websites such as Expedia to compare fares.

Your quickest connection would be through Amsterdam, followed by Heathrow.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

I fly from Toronto so the route is different. Regardless, it's a long flight. I always do a stop over at the transfer point. It's always in a city I enjoy so it becomes part of the holiday. I expect to be travelling to Kenya in January & from Toronto they now offer really good fares from the Turkish airline, so I get to spend a day or 2 in Istanbul. How great is that!!!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
39 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

It seems all your 1-stop options require an overnight in London or Amsterdam. Day 1: YVR. Day 2: Arr LHR or AMS for overnight stay. Day 3 LHR or AMS to NBO evening arrival. And you will start your Kenya itinerary on Day 4. That's a long route. You might as well add couple of nights in LHR/AMS to your honeymoon and make the layover an enjoyable stop.

On the other hand, both British Airyways (USD1700) & Delta/KLM (USD1500) could get you to NBO on Day 2 evening if you fly through Seattle: YVR-SEA-LHR or AMS-NBO. Another 2-stop option (more expensive) is via Toronto: YVR-YYZ-LHR-NBO on Westjet & BA, which will also get you there on Day 2.

All of these you could book yourself on either the airline websites or Expedia, except BA: YVR-SEA-LHR-NBO. BA website routes you through Toronto automatically. You might have to call BA to get the combo fare via Seattle or book YVR-SEA separately, which could cost less. Another option is the ride the Quick Shuttle to Seattle Airport.

I am flying SEA-LHR-NBO this November. Happy planning as I always am.

PS: Oct is the Kenya high season, if you are planing honeymoon safari and haven't started yet, better get cracking.

Happy planning.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

I have to disagree with that one statement about October being high season. It is really low season or at best "shoulder". And with the state of tourism this year, there should be plenty of vacancies for hotels and safaris. Take your time and shop around, and don't be shy to bargain

nyc
Level Contributor
14,289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Oct is actually end of 'peak' season as the short rains are due to commence in Nov thru mid-Dec.

Turkish Air fares are very tempting but they do arrive very early morning at 1-2am; departures are around 3-4am, both of which often incur additional hotel fees.

Many from Canada prefer to depart from the States where taxes are less than those in Canada. So if you can get a flight from Vancouver to Seattle or San Francisco via London or Amsterdam, then onto NBO might be to your benefit. And do try to make the entire trip as one-ticket vs two-tickets. This way the airline is responsible to make sure the connections are made... with separate tickets, if flight between States and Vancouver late, you may be up the creek!

Besides Expedia, you can also check Kayak, www.kayak.com for schedules/fares. Or if you belong to a FF Flyer program contact that airline directly... fares can often be better. Regardless, the air carrier it's still a long trip.

Do be sure to verify the layover times wherever connecting allowing minimum 2.5p-3/hrs (try to avoid those with 6-7/hrs).

Good luck.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Fly to London first and then from London to Kenya. We went Vancouver-Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Johannesburg when we were flying to South Africa and it was the long route. We would have been much faster flying through London. Also, take a break in London to adjust to the time zone and also take a break from the airline seats.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

We went Calgary-Amsterdam-Nairobi with KLM this past January. Long layovers in Amsterdam both ways, but with the train station right there you can do a bit of light sightseeing. You can pick up tickets to one of the museums on-line, have a loook around, a bite to eat, maybe the canal tour with plenty of time to spare. We also found that KLM offered the best prices, (we paid $1550 pp round trip), but we did buy them 7 months in advance. (The price never got better, on KLM or any other carriers).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

Forget anything via the US. It just isn't worth dealing with their security. It took 5 hours the last time I did this to get through immigration in JFK. Five hours in a after 14 hours on a flight ended up being the most difficult part of the trip. Never again. Every Canadian I've talked to about this say the same thing....

10. Re: From Vancouver to Kenya. Pls suggest a flight Route!!Thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 30, 2015