We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nairobi on my own

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
nairobi on my own

I am a single traveller and would like to do a city tour. Would I be safe to explore the city on my own or should I go with a guide? What would be the highlights to see?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: nairobi on my own

Hey - the city is safe enough to walk around during the day, but beware of pickpockets. Simply pick a local guide map of city & head out (or take a guide, if it makes you comfortable). Highlights would be the City Market, local curio shops, Nairobi Arboretum & Musuem. On certain days of the week, there's a Masai Market near the Law Courts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
888 posts
2. Re: nairobi on my own

Hi- I would also add the Elephant Orphanage as a real must-see. I have travelled in African cities extensively on my own over the last 10 years and never felt unsafe provided I was being sensible- i.e. not walking around in areas that felt dodgy or after dark. However, I've travelling with a guide could confidence that you're not going to end up somewhere shady by mistake, and a good guide does give you the chance to get a much more personal, and greater insight into Nairobi than just following a guidebook.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

3. Re: nairobi on my own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, January 31, 2014
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: nairobi on my own

I think you'd do better with somebody who knows Nairobi and can take you to interesting and safe places. You can get tired and hot walking around on your own!!

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
5. Re: nairobi on my own

If it's your first time, its better to use someone, as even with a guide book, it is still hectic. Have particular interests? Food,Culture, History, Nature, Sports?....This can help you focus / plan your tour / time around themes of interest and not spend hours in the week day traffic jams.(Sundays have no Jams). You will always meet someone or two ,who has been / lives here and can give you tips, just by asking around. Locals are friendly and helpful if you need info, but avoid anyone who pesters you. Otherwise practice common sense at all times and you'll be o.k. You will enjoy Nairobi if you do a little homework ahead of time.- enjoy!

Edited: 3:34 pm, February 02, 2014
6. Re: nairobi on my own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 04, 2015