We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baggage transit through nairobi airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woolacombe, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
baggage transit through nairobi airport

Will be flying Kenya airways to Mombasa via Nairobi.

Can anyone tell me if baggage is checked in to Mombasa and transferred to connecting flight,or do we have to reclaim baggage in Nairobi and check it in ourselves for connecting flight.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

Hi,

It is checked through but you still have to collect it at Nairobi in order to go through Customs, you then leave the temporary Arrivals Hall for the short walk to the Domestic Terminal where you and your bags go through the scanners at the entrance then you drop your bags off at the check in / baggage drop desk right in front of you

Woolacombe, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

Hi Doffcocker,

Many thanks for information,

Glad that i asked as email from KA reservations told me i could check it through to mombasa or collect it at Nairobi . Confusing as why would you want the extra hassle if it could be checked through.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

On the return they are checked in straight through to London from Mombasa.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

i ask a similar question: do i have to collect the baggage in nairobi too even if i have an international connecting flight? and most of all, is it safe to check in the baggage through to final destination? (Malawi in this cae). Joburg is not for example (my luggage got robbed) so i'd like not to repeat the same experience if possible. thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
177 reviews
5. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

Freddy, you should be able to check you luggage all the way through to Malawi. I am assuming you are flying Kenya Airways from London via Nairobi.

Nairobi airport is relatively safe. If I am transiting through an African airport, I always have my luggage plastic wrapped.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

Roadwarrior,

I'm sorry for hijacking the OP's post, but how do you get your bags wrapped? Just ask at check-in? I've seen bags wrapped, but never knew whether folks came with them wrapped at check in.

Thanks-chris

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
177 reviews
7. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

Chris, most airports have baggage wrapping services for a fee. You need to ask at the information desk before you go to the check in counters.

8. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, October 17, 2014
9. Re: baggage transit through nairobi airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 18, 2015