We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Arusha by bus

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi to Arusha by bus

Hi. I'm arriving into Nairobi at 7am and want to head straight to Arusha to meet my friends. From my research on here it seems it's an easy 5/6hr journey by bus.

My only questions were,

How long will it take to clear immigration? Would I make the 8.15am buses?

Do I need to pre-book or can I do it at the airport?

Has anyone done this journey recently and recommend a good company?

Thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi to Arusha by bus

Sam D,

Theres no way you will arrive at 7am and be able to catch the 08h00 shuttle to Arusha. This time of the day traffic will be flowing to the city. However i dont even see you having the visa in less than 30min. I suggest you book yourself an afternoon shuttles bus which leaves at 14h00. Then have the morn on brief tour of the city maybe. Alternatively you can book a private car for your transfer.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi to Arusha by bus

That's pushing your luck.If arriving 6-6;30am, you'd be okay, but not wtih a 7am arrival.

Besides the fact you require a Visa, also a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry into Tanzania.

Private transfer is an option which price runs between $350-450 one way. Otherwise, next Shuttle bus is 2pm, arriving Arusha by 6pm/dark.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi to Arusha by bus

Dear Sam D

The best way to go about it will be to prebook the shuttle in advance and ask them to pick you up from JKIA on their way to Arusha. This will save you the hassle of having to take a taxi to the departure point which i doubt you can make it in time before they take off. Depending on the traffic from the city centre,if quite normal they should be able to pick you up at about 0830hrs and you proceed, we have arranged this previously and it worked out as planned.

Good luck

Allan

4. Re: Nairobi to Arusha by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 08, 2015