We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
182 posts
198 reviews
three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

hello

we will spend 3 days in nairobi before our safari and uganda

where to stay? which areas are good? budget around 150 max dollars a night for two. as a norwegian and a dane traveller we are obviously interested in visiting Karen Blixen house and museum and any suggestions for other things to do?

which areas are safe? is downtown safe?

thanks in advance

1. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, December 28, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
192 reviews
2. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

I've never been there, but tourists love the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it as well.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

Karen (which you probably know is named for Karen Blixen ) is a lovely area near most of the tourist things you'll want to do.

I've not yet stayed here (third visit to Nairobi coming in June) but this is where I plan to stay. Room cost is within your price range.

http://www.purdyarms.com

Another easily in your price range that looks beautiful, and i now fro having stayed there is a great area, is

http://www.lavingtonhillhouse.com

Good luck! When are you going?

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
40 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

Dear,

If you want to be away from hustle and bustle into nature where you can immediatly enjoy walking or cycling in pure nature, I can advise you to go to Amazing Kenya Retreat. It's just 30 - 45 minutes away from the International airport. They are reviewed here on tripadvisor. Please read.

Amazing Kenya Retreat is located in the beautiful Savannah Grassland estate, Maanzoni. Sitting on your verandah you can enjoy the spectacular view offered by the Savanna plains.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

I'd just like to point out that Mama494 has written the same post on three different forum topics... one that is over 3 months old. This kind of enthusiastic response often reflects an attempt to advertise a particular facility and is often produced by an owner or employee.

Though it is impossible to be sure in cases like this, as a matter of personal choice, I automatically avoid businesses with this kind of forum comments.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

We are currently staying at Miti Mingi Guesthouse in the Westlands part of Nairobi. We chose it based on the excellent reviews on TA. It is a lovely place... restful gardens, good rooms, exceptionally nice staff. Highly recommend it!

It is relatively inexpensive, so we don't feel too bad about taxi fees to get places. It is only 300 Tsh to Serit Centre. Today we took a taxi to Karen to visit the Sheldrick Animal Orphanage... we had the driver for about 3 1/2 hours and the rate was 3000 Tsh. That is about $35.

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
40 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

AM sorry but you have it all wrong there. I am an idiot addicted2africa and i happen to LOVE this place. It's not mine, but I have stayed here on several occasions and I keep going back. Because it's simply the best place in close proximity of JKIA on the correct site with no jams having to go into Nairobi.

Check my blog, and see it's not my place:

http://addicted2africa.wordpress.com

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
40 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

IF you would have taken the trouble to read my other reviews... (and other countries and cities) you might have thought twice before posting an accusation like this :)

As your name says it all......

Edited: 3:26 am, January 03, 2014
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

In my last post I accidentally wrote Tsh instead of Ksh. The rates given are, of course, Kenyan shillings, not Tanzanian...

10. Re: three days in nairobi before travelling on safari and uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 05, 2015