We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Hi there,

Me, my wife and her sister and two kids are going to Kenya for 3 weeks ind the end of March.

We are planing on going to Mombasa from Nairobi. Do any of you have some experience, on how much it would cost to pay a driver to take us there?

As far as i can see, the trip should take around 5 hours if i am not mistaken. So thats why we whant to do it this way instead of bus or train (13 or 10 hours)

Many thanks

Brgds

Chris

21 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

It will take you around 5-6hrs and it can cost you around $470 on air condition van. But dont forget to negotiate the price. All the best and enjoy your trip.

Nairobi, Kenya
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Christopher,

Hello!

I have traveled the route for about 4 times since my stay in Kenya both on assignment and holiday with my family. To be honest its a 6 hours journey when you use a private car and 8 hours using a bus. I have been using a friend in Nairobi and hes offered me the transfer using i of his vans at figure slightly lower than stated by Jones. Feel free to contact him robertmalusha@gmail.com he should be able to offer you a better deal. My last trip costed me U$380

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

There is no way the journey from Nairobi to Mombasa takes less than 7-8 hours even if you stop only once for 15-20 min. The road is full of heavy lorries and if one drives safely, 7 hours is a min you are looking at if traffic is not heavy, you get out of Nairobi with no delays and there is no jam on entering Mombasa. Also don't forget that there are a lot of speed bumps near every village, so even if you have a good run, you slow down often. Speed check is carried out by police in regular intervals, so speeding may lead to problems with the police. Accidents also happen on that road, so you may be delayed as it is a single lane traffic each way.

Cost is not much of a saving either - have a look at KQ (Kenya Airways) website. If booked in good time one way ticket for an adult will cost you around USD 80 so you are looking at USD 400-450 for all 5 of you for a 40 min flight in comfort. Or alternatively use one of the comfortable coaches with a/c and movie on board: at least this is a real saving in comparison with flying as consolation for time and possible inconvenience en route.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Agreed - it can't be done in 5 hours in a car, unless you have death wish ?!

NBO-MBA Highway is notorious for nasty accidents, so be warned, take it easy.

Here's your options:

1. Luxury bus with Modern Coast Oxygen. 8 hours; $30 O/W PP. Pick up points from town & along MBA Rd.

2. Private Nissan Mini Van with driver. Contact some local TOs from KATO Website

www.katokenya.org/index.php…

There's heaps & heaps of local TOs who can take you to the coast in Nissan Mini Van.

Contact Rasuls Car Hire, you might pick a good deal. Ask them that you need a driver too.

http://www.rasuls.com/

3. Fly with Kenya Airways or Fly540. Both depart form JKIA. Apprx $100 O/W PP

4. Train - not recommended !!

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Thank you all for the info.

I just connected to this page yesterday, and i'm allready finding it very helpfull.

Larissa I assume you work for Tijara Beach Hotel? I've been trying to find some prices on the homepage, but can't really find any. The hotel looks really nice, but maybe also in the high end pricing range?

STEFANILARDA, Thank you for the transfer info. Why is the train NOT RECOMMENDED?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,963 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

The train is a good experience, I like it but only if I'm flexible either end. Do be prepared for it being unreliable and breakdowns. Take drinks and snacks with you just in case of delays.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the coaches with a barge pole having seen the reckless driving on the highway. With two kids I would fly - under an hour - to avoid the "are we there yet" question.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

We travelled a lot with 2 kids up and down Mombasa-Nairobi highway over the years but our preference now is to fly. Here I agree with Tembofan - flying us the best way. We never had problems with kids but we were always in our own a/c 4x4 with snacks, drinks, tea and freedom to stop as and when needed. We have been flying over the last 2-3 years though - we are either getting older or wiser! LOL

Christoffer, with the cost of going by road being roughly the same as by air, my honest advice will be to fly. There is nothing much to see on the way apart from traffic and lorries, there are a couple of places where you can see baboons and zebras in passing. Over our many dozens of trips over the last 20+ years we have seen elephants a few times.

You can think of an alternative - making your way down to Mombasa with adding a few days of safari. Then you can plan a trip with a tour company and go to Amboseli, then on to Tsavo West, then Tsavo East, come out at Buchuma Gate which is around 2 hrs from Mombasa or go through the park to the North Coast if that's where you end up staying. Of course, you need to plan to stay in the parks at least 1, better 2 nights in each to enjoy it. This will be a much more expensive option due to accommodation cost and park entry fees, but you will be on a nice safari while making your way down to the coast!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

8. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 am, February 19, 2014

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Read this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k697…

Tønder, Denmark
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa

Hej Christoffer.

Jeg er enig i de andres kommentarer om turen - jeg har taget bussen en del gange, toget er taget 1 gang og det var sidste gang, det tog 22 timer og det var mildest talt ikke nogen fantastisk oplevelse - der var kakelakker (eller hvad det var) i togkupeen hvor du skulle ligge og sove. Maden var snasket.

Vi har føjet en enkelt gang.

Nu skal vi derned igen 17. januar og vi vil allerhelst flyve igen.

Vi skal være ved kysten i 3 uger og har fundet et sted at bo der ser virkelig godt ud - google - morningstar resort diani - det er lejligheder så man også selv kan lave mad - det synes vi er rart :o)

Mvh Zandra

Reply to: Private driver from Nairobi to Mombasa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted